4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; more than two decades making of history! For over 21 years, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR San Diego) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery.
Join us to make a difference in the next twenty years!
The NIBR-Biologics Center in San Diego seeks an experienced protein engineer to lead innovative approaches in protein design within a team responsible for the application of modern protein engineering and data science techniques to next generation biotherapeutic platforms, ranging from gene therapy to multi-specific antibodies. The successful candidate will play a key role in advancing state-of-the-art biologics within the Novartis pipeline, contributing both understanding and influencing the science of the global NIBR organization.
• Lead a group of protein designers and data scientists, with protein engineering responsibility in NIBR biotherapeutics prioritized platforms, including adeno-associated virus gene therapy, enzyme engineering and siRNA delivery.
• Collaborate with teams of biologics, protein and structural scientists to create the necessary workflows to validate hypotheses and characterize novel designs to enhance binding, activity, and specificity.
• Evaluate, implement, and prioritize internal and external advances in structure and data driven approaches to biologics design, recognize risks and propose mitigation or contingency plans.
• Communicate and guide project teams and other core technology groups within NIBR to effectively advance molecules toward clinical trials
• Mentor scientists and develop talent, creativity, communication skills, and accountability within the organization.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will brig to the role:
• PhD in structural or computational biology, biological chemistry, biophysics or related discipline with post-doc, or equivalent and 5+ years of industry or academic experience with a proven record of rational protein design success.
• Knowledge and hands-on experience in experimental and data driven approaches to protein engineering and their translation to biotherapeutics.
• Proficiency in utilizing structural and bioinformatic data mining to optimize protein properties.
• Familiarity with structure and design within any of the following categories, adeno-associated viral capsids, enzymes, multi-specifics, or single domain antibodies.
• Hands on skills in machine learning, bioinformatic or data science utilized in areas such as directed evolution and library or rational design.
• Experience in High-Throughput Computational environments in conjunction with contemporary protein
design software (e.g. Rosetta).
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine!
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Vaccine Policy: While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination.
As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network