4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of NIBR San Diego - John Jay history!
The NIBR San Diego Genome Engineering Platform is recruiting a Senior Principal Scientist to build and lead a Genome Editor Discovery Group that will integrate and synergize with the Platform and global functions to help discovery the next generation of transformational genome-targeting medicines. The San Diego Genome Engineering Platform comprises a core team of +20 scientists with additional access to a wide repertoire of world-class collaborative functions including automation, protein expression, protein engineering, molecular biology, data science, pharmacology, and drug discovery. The San Diego Genome Engineering Platform itself forms part of a larger genome engineering effort comprising +40 scientists globally, which individually or collectively interact with project teams to tailor targeted genome engineering treatments for the most urgent unmet medical needs. Leading initially from the bench and working closely with other elements of the platform, the successful candidate guide a small team of scientists devoted to discovering, engineering, and tailoring novel genome modifying effectors ideally suited to achieving favorable on- and off-target effector profiles for key therapeutic indications. The candidate is expected to work with the larger team to profile and characterize effector candidates for their therapeutic potential, guide protein expression and engineering efforts, tailor effectors for various in vivo delivery modalities, recruit and sustain external collaborations to leverage concepts and expertise unavailable by other means, recruit, mentor, and train the next generation of talented scientists, and contribute as an innovator and thought leader wherever possible.
Your responsibilities include:
• Conceive of one or more strategies for the discovery and/or development of novel genome modifying effectors with tailored therapeutic potential, where effectors can comprise nucleases and their derivatives, editors, writers, readers, transcriptases, combinations of multiple such effectors, or classes of effectors as yet undefined
• Lead a group of multiple junior associates responsible for improving, implementing, and executing this strategy, including significant leading from the bench
• Participate in global efforts to perform internal validation, modification, or development of extant genome modifying effectors in a clinic-focused manner
• Participate in due diligence teams formed to evaluate potential in-licensing or partnering opportunities as they arise
• Recruit, mentor, retain, promote, and inspire through example associates within your team and across the Group and organization
• Communicate effectively with diverse project teams and other core groups across NIBR to coordinate with molecular biology, structural biology, computational modeling, disease area, and automation experts
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD and postdoctoral training in biochemistry, protein engineering, protein evolution, molecular biology, or related discipline
•10+ years direct, hands-on experience with the engineering or modification of genome modifying effectors such as CRISPR-Cas9, TALEN, ZFNs, Prime Editors, Base Editors, or others
• Direct, hands-on experience with methods and strategies for rigorous cell-based evaluation of efficacy, efficiency, on-target, and off-target effects of effectors, including cell-based assay development
• Ability to exploit protein folding, engineering, or structure tools and datasources, including Alphafold, PDB, PepBank, among others
• Knowledge and experience in protein engineering via display technologies, in vitro evolution, or similar selection approaches
• Familiarity with protein modeling via MOE, Schrodinger, and/or Rosetta
• Significant experience as a molecular biologist capable of translating engineering concepts into practical expression outputs, either purified or ectopic
• Demonstrated leadership and/or mentoring experience
• Comfort in a collaborative, collegial, non-hierarchical, highly-dynamic matrixed environment
• Chemical biology expertise
• Ability to design or exploit gene regulatory circuits and systems
• Experience exploiting artificial intelligence approaches to guide or focus protein engineering concepts
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
COVID-19: While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .