Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.
A career at Pfizer offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, Pfizer colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. Pfizer, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.What You Will Achieve
As a Scientist, you will be at the center of our operations and you'll find that everything we do, every day, is in line with an unwavering commitment to quality. You will be part of a team that is addressing the critical task of rejuvenating our pipeline with innovative, differentiated First-In-Class/ Only-In-Class programs in the years to come. This will be addressed by generation of strong data packages from target hypotheses derived from academic outreach and initiatives. You will be an essential member of this team and creatively design and execute key experiments to address the basic and translational biology of novel drug targets, their molecular pathways, and their connection to human disease. You will support projects in Pfizer's interests in Immunology, Oncology, and Immuno-Oncology.
With your deep knowledge in the discipline, you will be an active team member who influences at the project team level. You will be using your scientific judgment to adapt standard methods and techniques by applying prior work experience and consulting others. Your ability to plan will help in preparing short-term work activities on projects. Your creativity in developing novel processes and new ideas will be used frequently. You will undertake mentoring activities to guide your team members.
It is your innovative scientific temperament that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.
Pfizer Cancer Immunology Discovery (CID) is within the Oncology division of Pfizer Worldwide Research & Development in La Jolla, CA. CID is dedicated to developing new protein therapeutics to improve human life by redirecting the immune system against cancer. CID researchers apply the latest scientific knowledge and novel approaches to discover truly innovative Immuno-Oncology therapeutics. We are seeking to hire a Scientist for the Tumor Immunogenicity group.How You Will Achieve It
This role is primarily laboratory based with a major emphasis placed upon implementing state-of-the-art immunologic techniques, and routinely conducting high-quality assay work in an organized and safe manner.
Laboratory and related work (~90% of time) with supervision:
- Understand study aims and experimental plans provided by supervisor and follow detailed SOPs to run a variety of serology or cell-based immunoassays (including studies with large sample numbers).
- Assist with flow cytometry assays for immune cell profiling (ICP) and intracellular cytokine staining (ICCS).
- Perform cell culture to maintain the viability and sterility of multiple immortal cell lines.
- Using standardized methods, analyze experimental data and with support of supervisor generate data summaries for interpretation by the vaccine project teams.
- Regularly record experimental work upon completion in electronic notebook systems and archive instrument raw data in server databases.
- Identify and report any experimental problems, troubleshoot causative factors, and suggest necessary corrections in discussion with supervisor.
- Support general laboratory operations including daily preparation of buffers and solutions, ordering and re-stocking laboratory supplies, and maintaining a clean work environment and maintenance of equipment.
- Actively participate in discussions at work-group meetings and contribute ideas at Immunology line meetings.
- Provide timely responses to project team requests for data and information.
- Develop clear and concise presentation skills by presenting data summaries at internal meetings.
- Comply with all EH&S regulations and safe laboratory practices. Identify and act to reduce hazards and risks in the laboratory through use of risk and hazard assessments.
- Bachelor's Degree in a life sciences area
- 6+ years of relevant experience
- Experience in the fields of immunology, cell biology and/or tumor biology
- Ability to plan, execute, and analyze in vitro experiments with minimal supervision
- Ability to execute a variety of in vitro and ex vivo assays utilizing molecular and cellular techniques to validate and characterize targets and downstream pathways including CRISPR/RNAi, lentiviral transduction, Western Blot, and immunohistochemistry
- Experience with sterile mammalian cell culture
- Experience with q-PCR, ELISA, ELISPOT, and cytotoxic assays
- Excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently or as part of a team, good verbal and written communication, and strong motivation with a dedicated work ethic
- Ability to integrate biological concepts into experimental design
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Master's degree and 4+ years of relevant experience
- Immune phenotyping tumor and tumor-associated immune cells by multi-parameter flow cytometry
- Experience working with biologics and small molecule inhibitors for tumor immunotherapy
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Standing, sitting, bending, lifting, walking in a laboratory or vivarium setting.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in a BSL-2 laboratory; additional PPE requirements when working in vivarium barrier suites.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to read, understand, and perform written protocols
- Ability to perform moderately complex data analysis using Microsoft Excel, FlowJo, GraphPad Prism or other similar data analysis software.
Other Job Details
- Infrequent travel (generally other Pfizer sites or professional meetings)
- Occasional off-hour and weekend schedule.
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise. On Premise colleagues work in a Pfizer site because it's needed to get their job done. They may have flexibility to work remotely from time to time, but they are primarily on-site.
The annual base salary for this position ranges from $72,700.00 to $116,500.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 7.5% of the base salary. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans. Salary range does not apply to the Tampa, FL location.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development