Gyroscope Therapeutics is a clinical-stage gene therapy company developing gene therapy beyond rare disease to treat diseases of the eye that cause vision loss and blindness. Gyroscope was acquired by Novartis, a leading global medicines company, in February 2022. Gyroscope has locations in London, Philadelphia and San Francisco.
Gyroscope’s lead investigational gene therapy, GT005, is currently being evaluated in Phase II clinical trials for the treatment of geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD), a leading cause of blindness. GT005 has received Fast Track designation from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of people with GA.
Gyroscope’s Medial Device Development team is responsible for developing state of the art medical devices for the delivery of the company’s increasing portfolio of gene therapy medicines.
A highly motivated individual is sought to join the Device Development Team as a Sr. Product Development Engineer. The successful candidate will contribute to the development of multiple medical devices in the ophthalmic space. This role will give the successful candidate the opportunity to join a rapidly growing world-class team and to play a part in shaping the growth of this exciting biotechnology company.
Your responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
• New product development for medical devices and surgical instrumentation
• Identifying user needs, verifying and validating designs
• Performing all aspects of Design Control and Risk Management activities
• Ability to support multiple device development projects at the same time
• Understanding of various types of mechanisms, materials, proper tolerancing, drafting standards, design for manufacturing and GD&T
• Strong initiative and follow through in executing responsibilities, overcoming obstacles, and balancing multiple priorities effectively
• Ability to effectively communicate concepts, ideas and knowledge to other individuals, surgeons, customers and/or teams
• Authoring a protocols and reports
• Occasional travel to support surgical labs and meet with vendors
• Collaborate with Regulatory, Quality, and Pharmaceutical Development functions
• Catheter design, prototype development, material selection, bench testing and manufacturing techniques
• Additional duties as assigned.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you'll bring to the role:
• B.S. in Biomedical Engineering or similar
• 4+ Years of experience in a medical device or biotech company
• Knowledge of medical device design controls and risk management including 21CFR Part 820, ISO 13485, and ISO 14971
• Solidworks CAD
• Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills
• Proficiency utilizing the MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multi-disciplinary team
• Strong organizational ability to plan and prioritize work to meet deadlines
• Self-motivated, proactive, and able to work in a diverse team environment
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $92,800 and $139,200/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodations
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.