6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The Characterizations and Formulations team at NBC characterizes new therapeutic protein and cell and gene therapy candidates of various formats throughout discovery to the handover to development. Our team of motivated and highly skilled scientists from various backgrounds provide expertise in areas such as physical-chemical analytical characterization, mass spectrometry, and formulation in an international setting.
As a Senior Scientist in the characterization team, you will be responsible for assisting with mass spectrometry and physical-chemical characterization of biologics during drug discovery to early drug development. You have the unique opportunity to gain experience with a wide range of biotherapeutics with chances to create significant experimental and intellectual contributions to our exciting biologics pipeline.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Execute assays for characterizing candidates using mass spectrometry at both the intact, subunit, and peptide level
• Operate and maintain instruments, perform data analysis and ELN/Genedata documentation, and author and/or review method development and technical reports
• Apply physical-chemical analytical methods for orthogonal support of MS analyses (CE-SDS, reverse phase LC, charge variant characterization)
• General understanding of analytical and biophysical characterization of therapeutic antibodies, multi-specifics, ADCs, therapeutic proteins, cell and gene therapies, and/or emerging biotherapeutic modalities
• Work in a highly interdisciplinary and collaborative environment as part of the global NBC team and contribute to data analysis and interpretation, making technical presentations, and report writing
• Interact and collaborate with colleagues in biologics across Discovery and Development organizations.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• M.Sc. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field with preferably 2+ years of biotech/biopharmaceutical industry experience, or B.Sc. in related field with ideally 4+ years of biotech/biopharmaceutical industry experience.
• Demonstrated expertise with hands-on experience in setting up top-down and bottom-up mass spectrometry analyses of biotherapeutics
• Demonstrated technical understanding and expertise in the field of analytical characterization of large biotherapeutic molecules
• Demonstrated scientific curiosity, problem-solving skills, and ability to design and execute experiments independently
• Strong ability to work in a team environment, detail-oriented, multi-task, and has outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with Genedata Expressionist for mass spectrometry analysis is highly preferred
• Hands-on experience with CE-SDS, cIEF, reverse phase liquid chromatography, SEC, and/or other analytical assays
• Experience with Genedata Biologics and ELN
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Vaccine Policy (customer-facing roles only): While Novartis does not require vaccination for Covid-19 or proof of a recent negative test result for Covid-19 at this time, employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .