6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biotherapeutic Engineering and Gene Therapy (BEGT) group is a part of the NIBR Biologics Center (NBC). BEGT drives a diverse portfolio of modalities including therapeutic proteins, multi-specific antibodies, CAR-T, RNA therapeutics, AAV and lentiviral vectors. The NBC group works collaboratively with disease area groups to broaden the use of biologics in therapeutic applications.
We are seeking a highly motivated, collaborative and curious Senior Scientist to join our lentivirus team within NIBR Biologics Center (NBC). We are dedicated to innovating the delivery of lentiviral gene therapies for multiple therapeutic areas including cancer and sickle cell disease. The discoveries we make can contribute directly to improving efficacy and accessibility of gene therapies to patients. As a key contributor in a dynamic, multidisciplinary team, you will be involved in the design and innovation of lentiviral vectors to overcome challenges in viral vector production and therapeutic gene delivery, efficacy, and safety.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Use molecular biology and virology expertise to design and test lentiviral vector (LVV) and gene expression plasmids for our gene therapy platform with minimal supervision
• Works to evaluate and implement innovative approaches to optimize viral vectors backbones, transgenes, promoters and other elements to support our gene therapy pipeline programs
• Perform hands-on execution of mammalian cell culture experiments in BSL2 environment including DNA plasmid transfection and small-scale virus production, purification and transduction of cell lines
• Collaborate with a cross-functional and global LVV team as well as colleagues in various disease areas to troubleshoot and optimize LVV production and performance both in vitro and vivo
• Present experimental designs, protocols, results and interpretations to a varied audience
• Maintain familiarity with current scientific literature and techniques in the field of lentivirus engineering
• Demonstrate good organizational and communication skills. Expected to be accountable for effectiveness and timelines of completion of project goals
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role:
• B.S. or M.S. in Molecular Biology, Virology or relevant, with a minimum of 6+ years relevant laboratory experience in industrial or academic setting.
• Expertise in lentivirus therapeutic design, production, characterization and delivery
• Hands-on experience with molecular & cell biology and mammalian cell culture techniques (plasmid design, transfection, FACS, qPCR/ddPCR, Western Blot & others).
• Experience working with lentiviral vectors in a BSL2 environment.
• Comfort in a fast-paced environment and ability to adjust workload based on changing priorities, coupled with a demonstrated eagerness to learn new things.
• A strong self-starter, independent thinker with strong attention to detail.
• Ability to adapt in a dynamic and collaborative environment working with team members in a matrix setting.
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
While Novartis does not require vaccination at this time, for certain Novartis sites in the US all associates and candidates may be required to either upload an image of their COVID-19 vaccine card demonstrating proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 (or other similar evidence of vaccination) or proof of a negative COVID-19 test taken by the associate or candidate within the past seven days to enter any of our sites and/or customer office or healthcare facility, as well as prior to participating in other work related off-site meetings. Employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .