20%! That is how much the number of deaths from chronic lung disease worldwide has risen over the past 30 years, and this burden is likely to increase from the impacts of an aging global population and the COVID-19 pandemic. The Respiratory Therapeutic Area within Disease Area X at the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is seeking an experienced, innovative scientist to join the Discovery Biology group in our mission to develop ground-breaking new therapies for patients with chronic lung diseases.
You'll join a highly motivated drug discovery team working to establish and leverage complex in vitro model systems to explore the genetic and environmental factors underpinning chronic lung diseases. You will bring your experience in cell-based assay systems to develop new in vitro approaches for target discovery and advance novel therapeutics for chronic lung diseases.
The ideal candidate for this position has strong skills in cell and molecular biology, with experience developing in vitro models for target discovery approaches. They will have a proven track record of independent work and creativity, and a history of success in cross-functional teams.
You will work collaboratively with groups in the Respiratory Therapeutic Area and across divisions at NIBR. This individual will report findings effectively by oral and written presentation. Excellent communication and teamwork are critical to success in this position.
- Lead development and optimization of cell-based assays for mechanism of action and target validation studies
- Leverage culture of primary human lung cells and cell lines together with a variety of experimental endpoints (e.g. flow cytometry, RT-qPCR) to provide cell-based assay support to the pre-clinical Respiratory portfolio
- Independently design and interpret experiments and plan next steps with support from matrixed collaborators
- Clearly present results and data to teams within DAx-Respiratory and across NIBR
- Work in compliance with the Novartis Code of Conduct and in accordance with Novartis guidelines on health, safety, and data recording
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What You'll Bring to the Role:
- BS or MS in Life Sciences and minimum of 3-5 years' related laboratory experience in an industrial drug discovery setting in a role requiring development of in vitro culture systems and/or tissue-based assays
- Demonstrable experience in the culture of human primary cells, including passaging, freezing, and aseptic technique; experience with epithelial cells is preferred.
- Experience in a range of laboratory techniques, possibly including immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, ELISA, qPCR and Western blotting
- Track record of independent work and demonstrated creativity
- Experience working with cross-functional teams and serving as a point-of-contact for the team
- Proficiency in computer use and laboratory software programs
- Proven excellent communication skills
- Experience in development of assays for target validation and mechanism-of-action studies
- Experience in fibrosis biology and assay development
- Respiratory epithelial biology and disease knowledge
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations
Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $80,000 and $120,000 per year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network