“Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and to think what nobody else has thought” (Albert Szent-Gyorgyi)
Are you a highly creative, curious, and innovative scientist, interested in using new and existing technologies to improve drug development, willing to take smart risks and being driven by scientific data?
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG-RU) is seeking a molecular histologist with strong expertise in advanced histotechniques and quantitative image analysis. The successful candidate will lead molecular and imaging histology work across multiple therapeutic areas with primary emphasis on projects related to neurodegenerative, neuroinflammatory, and metabolic disease. Molecular and imaging histological technology is currently used to validate novel human genetic targets, to understand their mechanisms of action and to confirm target engagement and the effects on disease phenotypes of biological or chemical molecules in live healthy and disease relevant tissues.
The scientist will join a team with expertise in cutting-edge technologies including human and animal precision cut tissue slice (PCTS) culture, molecular histology, complex in-vitro and ex-vivo models, high content imaging, etc. A collegial environment provides the candidate with the opportunity to interact with internal experts from multiple disciplines e.g. AI/ML, statistics, etc. These interactions will facilitate the design, execution, and analysis of tissue biology experiments to support the preclinical phase of drug development. As a molecular and imaging histologist, one of your major roles will be to interact with project teams and leaders and identify how histotechniques can support target validation and drug development. A second major role is to identify and evaluate biotech companies that either perform high quality routine histology techniques or technologies that are not run at GSK with the goal of interacting with these vendors to support GSK projects. The third aspect of the role is to develop or bring novel technologies related to histology in-house and implement them to facilitate program progression.Key responsibilities:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Use a broad knowledge of histotechnique (including but not limited to microtomy, cryotomy, brightfield and fluorescent microscopy, automated immunohistochemistry (IHC), in situ hybridization (ISH), etc.) to develop, validate, and run assays that address project team needs.
- Develop, optimize and validate novel cutting-edge molecular histological techniques to support NHG-RU projects.
- Develop and evaluate automated and/or machine learning (AI) algorithms using Image Analysis software (HALO, Visiopharm, etc.) software to generate quantitative analytical data.
- Maximize information from imaging readouts by engaging colleagues from the AI/ML and Research Statistics teams.
- Use histological findings and data to inform development of human relevant cell-based models of disease to progress drug discovery.
- Independently execute laboratory experiments, conduct statistically supported data analyses and deliver results in a timely manner to enable informed decision making.
- Clearly record in electronic lab notebooks and communicate study results at internal and external meetings.
- Commit to continual improvement by reading and applying the latest scientific literature, methodologies and technologies.
- Comply with all standards and practices of data integrity, ethics, and safety.
- Model GSK's values of patient-focus, respect, transparency, and integrity.
We are looking for motivated scientists with the following skills:
- PhD or equivalent in histopathology, immunology or cellular and molecular biology or MS degree + at least 3 years of direct experience in a molecular and imaging histology lab.
- 3+ years' experience with data interpretation and communication of findings to project teams. Working knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and histology.
- 3+ years' experience in automated staining platforms (Ventana, Leica, etc.), microscopy, image analysis software (HALO, Visiopharm, etc.) and whole slide imaging platforms.
- Evidence of leading new technology initiatives, working with commercial partners to evaluate and implement new technologies relevant to molecular and imaging techniques (procedures and instrumentation).
- Cell and tissue culture experience. Candidates with PCTS experience using human and animal tissue highly preferred.
- Hands-on working experience with image analysis and novel molecular histology techniques.
- Extensive practical experience in the experimental design, execution and data analysis.
- Strong interest in the novel application of data science and visualization techniques to disseminate data internally and externally.
- An ability to independently design, execute and interpret high-quality experiments.
- Experience using automated staining platforms and whole slide scanners.
- Proven track record of teamwork, adaptability, innovation, initiative, and integrity.
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of the immediate team to support and influence projects.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where needed.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Open to suggestions and experimentation to drive the science in the field of interest.
- Highly committed, enthusiastic, self-motivated, inspirational and demonstrate a passion for learning.
- Good data presentation skills and abilities of explaining new technologies to neophytes.
- Ability to work independently as well as to collaborate with peers in a team
- Strong communication skills, and experiences with analytic software used to visualize complex data set.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to facilitate respectful internal and external conversations.
We're combining the power of genetic and genomic insights into what causes disease, with the speed and scale of artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to make better predictions about who a treatment might work for, and why. We believe this powerful combination of data and technology holds the key to fundamentally transforming medical discovery for the better, improving R&D success rates and shaping how even the most challenging diseases, like neurological conditions and cancer, can be both prevented and treated.
In 2021 we delivered four major product approvals: Cabenuva for HIV, Jemperli for endometrial cancer, Xevudy for COVID-19 and Apretude, our new long-acting medicine for HIV prevention.
Find out more:Our approach to R&D
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record