6000! This is the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients. The Biologics Center (NBC) is accommodated within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). NBC, in collaboration with the disease areas and technical expert groups, builds the future biologics therapy pipeline of Novartis through the discovery and creation of new antibody, protein, nucleic acid and virus-based molecules.
We are looking for a passionate Scientist to join the innovative antibody discovery group within NBC. In this role, you will work on generation of high-quality biologics to initiate and competitively advance the NIBR biologics pipeline by independently performing antibody screening followed by binding and functional characterization.
What you’ll be doing: Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Apply multiple cutting-edge selection techniques to synthetic and immune antibody libraries, like phage display, yeast display, FACS sorting, plate-based screening.
• Use automation to support antibody production, purification, and screening.
• Sub-clone hits into expression vectors and produce them at micro-scale in a high-throughput manner.
• Characterize binder properties in various affinity and activity assays, like ELISA, iQue, FACS, Octet, epitope binning, reporter gene assays.
• Engineer and improve binders through affinity maturation or humanization.
• Generate hypotheses to test, troubleshoot issues, design and execute the next set of experiments with the input from senior team members/manager.
• Document results in the laboratory journal and internal databases.
• Present research updates and participate constructively in working project teams and at laboratory group meetings.
This position will be located at the Cambridge, MA site and will not have the ability to be located remotely. This position will require 0% travel as defined by the business (domestic and/ or international).
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What you’ll bring to the role: (required)
• B.S. or M.S. in Biological Sciences with 5+ years of lab experience in antibody discovery technologies, including at least one technology, phage or yeast display.
• Solid background in molecular biology, cell biology, biochemistry, affinity and activity assays.
• Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills. Self-motivation, enthusiasm, and scientific curiosity.
• Experience in antibody engineering, especially affinity maturation.
• Familiarity with structural bioinformatics and protein modeling/design.
• Knowledge in flow cytometry (analysis and sorting)
• Familiarity with laboratory automation
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Vaccine Policy (customer-facing roles only): While Novartis does not require vaccination for Covid-19 or proof of a recent negative test result for Covid-19 at this time, employees working in customer-facing roles must adhere to and comply with customers’ (such as hospitals, physician offices, etc.) credentialing guidelines, which may require vaccination. As required by applicable law, Novartis will consider requests for reasonable accommodation for those unable to be vaccinated. This requirement is subject to applicable state and local laws and may not be applicable to employees working in certain jurisdictions. Please send accommodation requests to [email protected] .