100,000. That’s how many patients participate in our clinical trials at any given time. Global Clinical Operations (GCO) touches patients’ lives every day acting as a link between science and medicine. Envision the impact you could have as the Head of Vendor Alliance! #GCO
The Head Vendor Alliance (HVA) has multiple accountabilities at different levels in close collaboration with internal and external partners. The goal is to secure excellence in vendor service delivery for selected areas of accountability. We need the HVA to collaborate closely with Vendor Program Leads (VPL) and program sub-teams to define effective vendor program strategies at global and local levels and proactively de-risk execution. The HVA also leads multiple multidisciplinary External Relationship Management Teams (ERMT), guiding them to meet their purpose of ensuring an outstanding delivery of services and the acceleration of study timelines. This is carried out with the support of the Vendor Category Expert (VCE) and Vendor Start-up Manager (VSM). Another key aspect of the role is to establish strategic alliances with vendors and be accountable for vendor performance and compliance (> total GCO 200 Global vendors) at program and study levels. We want to ensure that Global Drug Development gains access to best-in-class services and performance delivering sustainable value.
We may also select you to act as a Business Partner to Country organization, liaising between country and Vendor Partnerships & Governance (VPG), helping with country or region-specific vendor issues, risks or projects, improving the Site & Patient experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Collaborate with VPLs and define enterprise and program aligned services and vendor strategies in alignment the ERMT
• Identify program strategies for GCO funded studies which leverage local and global vendor involvement in a most effective way and optimize global service delivery to cover previously unaddressed service gaps.
• Right-size and lead the supplier footprint to reduce total cost of ownership and increase Novartis' leverage with preferred and strategic suppliers. Hold ultimate decision on supplier selection and assessing suppliers outside category strategy
• Collaborate with countries and hubs, evaluating their requests for local vendor involvement. Support the qualification of local vendors centrally if needed and provide category expertise to hubs and countries to support local vendor issue resolutions
• Ensure VSM Expert and VSM support for study start-ups in support of accelerated start-up cycle times. De-risk accelerated study start-up by identifying vendor and service risks proactively
• Drive standardization of service delivery by indication; build libraries of standards. Build a team culture of expertise, excellence, and agility to optimize impact, deliver on study cycle time and process delivery improvements
• Significant interaction with senior leaders internally and with external organizations providing strong conduit for alignment and communication
• Driving issue acceleration management across the development portfolio spanning across multiple therapeutic/ disease areas and phases of development
• Manage risks pro-actively at vendor & service level, leverage technology enablers to systematically collect risks and issues, securing near- or real-time vendor involvement. Support activities for HA inspections/Audit readiness.
Accessibility and reasonable accommodation:
The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1 (877) 395-2339 and let us know that nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
• Education (minimum/desirable): Bachelor’s degree required; Relevant advanced degree (MBA, Pharm.D, MD or PhD preferred)
• 10+ years relevant industry experience (BioPharma or with a clinical service provider) including expertise in clinical operations, management of outsourced trial activities or vendor management accountabilities.
• Outstanding technical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Excellent knowledge of clinical trial methodology, GCP and medical terminology. Detailed experience of clinical research and development including quality & regulatory standards and policies relevant to defined services.
• Management of virtual teams. Demonstrated ability to lead teams and build effectiveness and demonstrated ability of completing projects on time and within budget.
• Extensive organizational awareness, including significant experience working cross-functionally and in global teams and excellent influencing and negotiation skills.
• Detailed understanding of contracts (including basic legal understanding of terms and conditions).
• Profound knowledge in finance (understanding of cost drivers for clinical trials) as it relates to contracts and cost reductions. Experience with Health Authority inspections preferred
Why consider Novartis?
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Join our Novartis Network:
If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: