1. Thats the number of current viral gene therapy treatments approved by the FDA and EMA for any neuromuscular disease. Novartis’ AAV gene therapy approved for the treatment of spinal muscular atrophy offers patients a transformative option in their fight with this devastating disease. Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research and the Musculoskeletal disease area are committed to development of the next generation of life saving medicines for the world’s most severe medical disorders.
The Musculoskeletal group in Cambridge is seeking for a highly motivated BS/MS level scientist to join our early stage drug discovery department. Our group is developing gene therapies for neuromuscular diseases, exploring disease mechanisms and potential treatments including target identification, validation and subsequent developing therapeutic interventions. In the role, you will be working on gene therapy and conventional drug discovery projects. Your role involves developing rodent animal models, performing in vivo and ex vivo efficacy studies as well as exploration of novel biomarkers and readouts in disease models using emerging technologies. You will be part of an interdisciplinary, highly collaborative group.
Your Responsibilities will include:
- Developing and implementing novel rodent models and innovative efficacy and target engagement readouts.
- Designing and carrying out in vivo pharmacology studies in rodents to support musculoskeletal disease area portfolio in the creation of new therapeutic candidates.
- Applying a diversity of in vivo and ex vivo techniques including surgery, mobility and strength measurements, dosing, tissue sampling, biomarker analysis and innovative readouts.
- Generating, analyzing, and documenting study results, as well as interpreting and presenting data to multidisciplinary groups
- Keeping current on emergent technologies through literature review and scientific meetings
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
What You'll Bring to the Role:
- MS, BS, or equivalent degree in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology, pharmacology, or related field
- 2+ years of demonstrated related ability, preferably in industry.
- Strong scientific background in in vivo pharmacology, preferably in musculoskeletal or neuromuscular research
- Expertise in in vivo and ex vivo methods including animal handling and dosing, blood collection, electrophysiology, surgical expertise, muscle and tissue dissection, biomarker and tissue analysis are desirable
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in designing and implementing assays for PD Marker Analysis (e.g. imunohistochemistry/IHC, qPCR, ELISA, western blot, and imaging).
- Ability to document, organize, communicate and present sophisticated data sets
- Ability to multi-task, work collaboratively as well as independently, be scientifically curious and self-motivated
- Excellent oral and communication skills, analytical skills and interpersonal skills
Why Join Novartis?
766 million lives were touched by Novartis medicines in 2021, and while we’re proud of this, we know there is so much more we could do to help improve and extend people’s lives.
We believe new insights, perspectives and ground-breaking solutions can be found at the intersection of medical science and digital innovation. That a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment inspires new ways of working.
We believe our potential can thrive and grow in an unbossed culture underpinned by integrity, curiosity and flexibility. And we can reinvent what's possible, when we collaborate with courage to aggressively and ambitiously tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges. Because the greatest risk in life, is the risk of never trying!
Imagine what you could do here at Novartis!
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] or call +1 (877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to hear more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network