6000+! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
Novartis’ Comparative Medicine (CM) labs and teams is a key partner with NIBR for advancing in-vivo research through innovation, emerging technologies and biomarkers, while promoting flawless animal wellbeing and science. With excellent clinical care and research model development, CM are advancing NIBR scientific research across the world.
CM is now seeking a motivated Senior/Principal Scientist to assume the supervisory role of In-vivo Training Program Lead for the CM in vivo Training & Innovation platform and provide expert advice and teaching opportunities to scientists on state-of-the-art technical approaches. You will be primarily responsible for the alignment of CM Training and Innovation to the organizational direction and needs of the research community, while ensuring outstanding quality, proficiency and efficiency of the program. You will actively propose NIBR scientific groups, novel experimental approaches or technologies to efficiently address in vivo project needs, thus contributing to in vivo research in various research areas within the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
Your responsibilities will include:
• Primary responsibility for leading the Training and Innovation platform, ensuring highest standards of the training activities, strategic thinking and ability to facilitate complex training activities/lectures, including ensuring the consistency and high quality of the in vivo Training Program including continued review of the program efficiency.
• Responsible and active contribution to hands-on activities in the in vivo Training field.
• Demonstrate independent judgment to collaboratively implement new technical methods that may impact research projects
• Lead and complete independent research requiring highly specialized scientific and technical knowledge
• You will be qualified to run a lab or technical platform, including leadership tasks (e.g. managing and running a lab or technical platform and providing regular and fair evaluation of team performance) and able to efficiently manage local/global projects
• Maintain compliance with all internal and external regulatory agencies in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. You will be required to gain certification and proficiency on all applicable technical skills as required by the job and where applicable
• Determining research partner expectations to ensure they are met/exceeded through a proper internal (and external) network
• Publish and lecture at internal/external meetings. You will proactively foster regular interaction with other scientists and managers on project activities in other groups and develop and maintain external relationships/contacts.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams representative of the patients and communities we serve.
What you will bring to the role:
• You will hold either a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine, a MS, PhD or equivalent (e.g. university degree with extensive industry experience) in scientific discipline such as biology, chemistry or pharmacology with appropriate and relevant years of experience, or apprenticeship (or equivalent) with appropriate and relevant years of experience in drug discovery or another related animal laboratory research
• Experience in training programs or advance technical skills in animal research
• Accredited or eligible to perform and direct animal experimentation in Switzerland
• Leadership/management skills
• Superior written and oral communication and data documentation skills required
• Working knowledge of federal, state, local (Animal Welfare) laws, departmental SOP’s and Good Laboratory Practices.
Why consider Novartis?
799 million. That’s how many lives our products touched in 2019. And while we’re proud of that fact, in this world of digital and technological transformation, we must also ask ourselves this: how can we continue to improve and extend even more people’s lives?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Imagine what you could do at Novartis!
Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here:
*Some restrictions on flexible working may apply and will be discussed at interview as applicable