Are you looking for a high-profile scientific role? At GSK you will have the opportunity to provide toxicologic, comparative/translational, and investigative pathology expertise to drug discovery and development. If so, this Scientific Director- Pathologist role could be an exciting opportunity to explore.
As Scientific Director-Pathology, you will join a team of veterinary anatomic and clinical pathology scientists, conduct the pathology phases of preclinical studies and evaluate data that support target validation, translationally relevant efficacy research, toxicology, and clinical biomarkers in collaboration with other scientific disciplines. You will be responsible for supporting potential drug targets and drug discovery projects assigned to you, with scientific engagement from early discovery through full development and regulatory approval. You will also be encouraged to develop your own area of sub-specialization to provide internal consulting expertise across projects, and present and publish in areas that support GSK's scientific interests and your career.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities in an enterprising and empowered scientific environment to progress YOUR career. These responsibilities include some of the following:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Contribute to the design of in-vivo studies and provide histopathological microscopic examination, interpretation (including correlation with clinical pathology, organ weight and other data) and reporting of investigative, exploratory and regulatory toxicology studies on candidate compounds to characterize safety or efficacy and enable decision-making or risk assessment in support of advancing these compounds to patients.
- Apply comparative pathobiologic expertise to support target selection, target validation, animal model development, non-animal alternative models, discovery safety and efficacy to improve candidate quality, reduce late stage attrition and improve translation between preclinical and clinical findings
- Apply digital pathology platforms and molecular pathology techniques (IHC, ISH, image analysis), in conjunction with histology scientists to strengthen quantitative approaches to pathobiology and biomarker delivery
- Serve as Project Pathologist on assigned compounds, targets, and therapeutic areas, providing Pathology Peer Review for aligned toxicology studies and expert pathology or subspecialty advice to Study Directors, Toxicology External Study Monitors, Project Team Members, Project Specialists to facilitate appropriate and timely decision making concerning GSK compounds.
- Collaborate with scientists in In Vivo In Vitro Translation (IVIVT), Discovery Research Units, Experimental Medicine and other areas of R&D to apply new technologies that improve translation of drug discovery and development findings toward clinical advancement
- Partner with colleagues in the Histology and Clinical Pathology Teams to ensure timely delivery of high-quality project support
- Pursue continuing professional development and share knowledge, expertise and mentorship with others in order to ensure scientific integrity and progression of vision and mission
- Provide expert pathology advice to In Vivo Science and Delivery colleagues to ensure the highest standards of animal welfare are maintained.
- Contribute to the evaluation of safety data on potential in-licensing candidates in order to assess their suitability for further development by GSK.
- Where appropriate, serve on multi-disciplinary program or project teams and oversee the progression of the project development plan at all phases according to project timelines and expectations for the role.
- Ensure that all activities are carried out to the principles of GLP and to national and Company regulatory standards where applicable. Comply with all appropriate environmental health and safety regulations to ensure a safe working environment
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent veterinary medical degree
- Residency or other specialized training in Veterinary Pathology (anatomic)
- Board certification in Veterinary Pathology (ACVP, ECVP, FRCPath, or equivalent)
- Specialization in Toxicologic Pathology, Comparative Pathobiology, or Investigative Pathology.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- PhD or MS in Pathology or closely related biomedical science
- Experience in one or more of these areas: toxicologic pathology, comparative pathology, animal models of human disease, non-animal model alternatives, digital pathology and image analysis, molecular pathology and related investigative methods, immunopathology or genetic basis of disease, bioimaging, biomarkers, organ or system based pathobiology expertise, drug discovery and drug development
- Proven collaboration and communication skills with scientists in other disciplines
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record