Microbial Genomics Postdoctoral Fellow
Division: Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology
Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology (EGSB) Division is looking for a talented Postdoctoral Fellow to join their Microbial Genome Program!
In this exciting role, you will work on single-cell projects and be responsible for the establishment of methodologies that will enable the selective isolation, whole genome amplification, and sequencing of single environmental microbial cells which produce secondary metabolites, in a high throughput manner. The research will focus on the use of fluorescently labeled probes and high throughput probe-based single cell isolation and sequencing approaches. You will perform phylogenetic and functional diversity studies and comparative sequence analysis.
What You Will Do:
• Create, design, and execute experiments that will enable the selective isolation and shotgun sequencing of microbial cells of interest.
• Develop fluorescent labeling methods for targeted single-cell isolation by Fluorescence Activated Cell Sorting (FACS).
• Work with isolates involved in secondary metabolite production and test new methods.
• Perform fluorescence microscopy imaging.
• Sample marine invertebrate animals.
• Build phylogenetic trees, analyze annotated genomes, and perform comparative genome analysis with a focus on biosynthetic gene clusters.
• Apply standard bioinformatics tools for the analysis of large-scale genomic/metagenomic data.
• Publish in peer review journals and deliver scientific presentations at scientific meetings.
What is Required:
• A recent PhD in Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or a related discipline with an emphasis in Bioinformatics within the last 2 years.
• Experience with fluorescently labeled probes and fluorescent-activated cell sorting.
• Knowledge of molecular biology techniques such as PCR, qPCR, cloning, whole genome amplification.
• Knowledge in microbial ecology, physiology, biochemistry, biogeochemistry, molecular biology and understanding of key and complex biological concepts (genes, pathways, microbial phylogeny).
• Familiarity with secondary metabolites in bacteria and the microbiomes of marine invertebrates.
with a proven track record in this area reflected in recent or pending publications.
• Experience with UNIX utilities and filesystems, R statistical analysis platform, and standard bioinformatics tools and databases.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to organize/present technical reports and provide a proven track record of recent or pending scientific publications.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills including experience collaborating with a diverse interdisciplinary research team.
What We Prefer:
• Experience in any of the following areas: single cell genomics, microbial genomics, metagenomics, including data processing/ analysis.
• Experience with next generation sequencing platforms (Illumina, PacBio, ONT).
• Familiarity with command line sequence analysis tools (e.g., Last, Hmmer, Megahit, MetaSpades, etc.).
For full consideration, please apply with the following application materials:
• Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
• Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
• This is a full time, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 3 year appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 2 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
• This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes with predetermined postdoctoral step rates dependent on years of experience post-degree.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be performed onsite at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=245029 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site.
Based on University of California Policy - SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program and U.S Federal Government requirements, Berkeley Lab requires that all members of our community obtain the COVID-19 vaccine as soon as they are eligible. As a condition of employment at Berkeley Lab, all Covered Individuals must Participate in the COVID-19 Vaccination Program by providing proof of Full Vaccination or submitting a request for Exception or Deferral. Visit covid.lbl.gov for more information.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to continue building community with these shared values and commitments.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We heartily welcome applications from women, minorities, veterans, and all who would contribute to the Lab’s mission of leading scientific discovery, inclusion, and professionalism. In support of our diverse global community, all qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Equal Opportunity and IDEA Information Links:
Know your rights, click here (https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ofccp/posters) for the supplement: Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law and the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision (https://www.dol.gov/sites/dolgov/files/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf) under 41 CFR 60-1.4.