About the Job
The Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR) at the University of Minnesota invites applications and nominations as they launch a national search for Associate Vice President for Research-Integrity and Compliance.
The Associate Vice President will oversee critical research integrity and regulatory functions of the Institutional Review Board (IRB), the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), and the Office of Biotechnology Activities Oversight (OBAO). Further, this position will serve as the University’s research integrity officer and as such have lead responsibility for ensuring that the institution fosters a research environment that promotes the responsible conduct of research and other activities that promote integrity in research and discourages research misconduct.
- This position will have responsibility for overseeing university research compliance and regulatory programs especially those related to our Human Research Protection Program (HRPP), animal care in research, biotechnology, and digital infrastructure including data security.
- The individual will play a key leadership role in the development and oversight of university investments in the research compliance infrastructure.
- This position has oversight responsibility across the system-wide research activities, and it will actively support the growth of the research enterprise by assisting investigators in assuring compliance with respect to their high-quality research.
- When needed, the position will help lead issue management related to research integrity and compliance in coordination with OVPR leaders and other central University departments.
- The position will assist University colleges and departments to maintain a healthy research climate/workplace as required by funding agencies such as NIH and will oversee an annual research workplace survey that informs the University’s robust approach to preventing and addressing discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.
- Other areas of responsibility may develop over time with the growth and needs of the research enterprise.
The percent time of this position is negotiable (100% is preferred). The position is an annually renewable P&A administrative appointment. Salary commensurate with education and experience. The position will be subject to annual review and evaluation, in consultation (if applicable) with the appropriate leader of the appointee’s academic unit.
It is expected, but not required, that the selected individual must have qualification to become a tenured member of the University of Minnesota faculty and have a significant record of research accomplishments. A terminal degree is required. This individual should have a broad knowledge of the research issues, particularly related to human health, animal care, and use, biotechnology oversight, and data security. The position requires sound policy judgment and proven skills in working effectively with faculty, staff, students, and external agencies. This individual should have a broad knowledge of university administration, with a special interest in understanding, managing, and resolving research compliance and integrity issues. Preference will be given to candidates with an extensive research background particularly in the biological or health sciences with experience in serving on IRB, IACUC, OBAO, or other related committees. Additionally, preference will be given to those with cross-departmental or cross-disciplinary experience, a long track record of successful research funding, successful administrative and leadership experience, experience on research-related committees, and background that complements that of other executive staff. Exceptional qualifications will include experience working with both the internal University of Minnesota (or similar institutions) governance as well as external agencies involved with research compliance and integrity.
About the Department
The Office of the Vice President for Research is a central resource for faculty, staff, students, and external partners to conduct, manage, and sponsor research at the University of Minnesota, a top ten public research institution in the US. The University of Minnesota is regularly ranked as a top ten US public research university, and OVPR is a systemwide resource for faculty, staff, students, and external partners to conduct, manage, and sponsor research at the UMN. The University’s externally sponsored research award funding exceeded $1.15 billion for the first time in fiscal year 2021. The University holds over 1,100 patents and more than 2,800 current licenses for UMN technology in medicine and health, biotechnology, chemistry, engineering, agriculture, and other fields important to society and the economy.
Working at the University
At the University of Minnesota, you’ll find a flexible work environment and supportive colleagues who are interested in lifelong learning. We prioritize work-life balance, allowing you to invest in the future of your career and in your life outside of work.
The University also offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Competitive wages, paid holidays, and generous time off
- Continuous learning opportunities through professional training and degree-seeking programs supported by the Regents Scholarship
- Low-cost medical, dental, and pharmacy plans
- Healthcare and dependent care flexible spending accounts
- University HSA contributions
- Disability and employer-paid life insurance
- Employee wellbeing program
- Excellent retirement plans with employer contribution
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) opportunity
- Financial counseling services
- Employee Assistance Program with eight sessions of counseling at no cost
Please visit the Office of Human Resources website for more information regarding benefits.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
This position requires that you attach -
- Letter of interest that addresses the position's responsibilities
- Curriculum Vitae
- Names of three references
Nominations and/or applications will be reviewed beginning on October 3, 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
UMN Internal Candidate Job Link
External Candidate Job Link
The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
Please note: All employees at the University of Minnesota are required to comply with the University’s Administrative Policy: COVID-19 Vaccination and Safety Protocol by either providing proof of being fully vaccinated on their first day of employment, or complete a request for an exemption for medical exemption or religious reasons. To learn more please visit: https://safe-campus.umn.edu/return-campus/get-the-vax
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.