The Senior Scientist will be responsible for the downstream process development work of mRNA-based vaccines. The successful candidate will play an important role in developing purification processes. The Senior Scientist will be working with fellow scientists to purify a variety of macromolecules including proteins and nucleic acids. Experience with enzyme kinetics analysis is a bonus. The job function requires judgment and innovation to achieve a solution within standard practices and procedures. Responsibilities will include designing and conducting experiments, tests, and analysis as part of a variety of research and development activities. The Senior Scientist will be expected to summarize, evaluate the study results, develop and test new hypotheses to improve the fundamental understanding of recovery and purification processes. The incumbent should possess a strong scientific knowledge in purification and/or mRNA. It is also expected that the incumbent will perform analysis and characterization of isolated macromolecules with various bioanalytical methodologies. Biophysical experience to characterize mRNA is highly desired. Careful documentation of work and presentation of data is required. Experience with FPLC systems is essential. RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, optimize, and scale-up recovery/downstream purification processes for isolation of nucleic acids and proteins.
- Collaborate with colleagues within Vaccine Research and Development organization including Bioprocess Fermentation, Analytical, and Formulation Development groups.
- Present problems and propose solutions in discussions with group members.
- Plan and prioritize related recovery / purification activities.
- Independently analyze, interpret, and provide conclusion and present experimental data.
- Keep abreast of scientific/ technological development by participating in scientific meetings/ seminars and through regular scientific review. Utilize new technologies and establish those technologies to improve purification / recovery capabilities of process development group.
- Where applicable, perform job responsibilities in compliance with GLP and all other regulatory agency requirements.
- Ph.D. and 0 - 2 years postdoctoral experience in industrial or academic setting is required.
- A strong background in purification, biochemistry, and biophysics techniques is essential.
- Hands on experience with protein and/or nucleic acid purification is required.
- Hands on experience with mRNA purification is highly desired.
- Background in nucleic acid or RNA biology is a plus.
- Proficiency with FPLC, filtration and relevant scientific software (eg. Unicorn).
- Highly organized, detail-oriented with good communication skills.
- Team worker.
- Experience with biophysical tools including CD, AUC, DSC etc.
- Experience with RNA structure/folding.
- Enzyme kinetics analysis.
- Experience training junior scientists.
- Experience with TECAN.
- Experience with FPLC systems is desired.
Relocation support available
Work Location Assignment:Onsite
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development