The Xavier University of Louisiana invites applicants for a tenure track position in Health Informatics at the Assistant Professor level to begin January or August 2023.
The ideal applicant will have a Ph.D. in Health Informatics or a closely related area. Applicants with informatics training, such as information systems, data science or computer science, health care data warehouse, and evidence of healthcare-related work experience, (i.e. Electronic Health Records Implementations, Health Information Exchanges, Patient Portals, etc.) are encouraged to apply. Candidates must demonstrate knowledge in information technology, data analytics, revenue cycle management and the healthcare environment.
This position is part of the newly established Health Informatics program. The goals are to develop a quality informatics program, provide students with opportunity to conduct research and to serve the entire University and the community. Applicants should show evidence of exceptional research promise, and provide leadership in growing the new informatics program, including developing and teaching courses. Ideal candidates will have a broad understanding and interest in interdisciplinary studies and demonstrate a commitment to diversity and equity in education through their research, teaching, and service. Applications are encouraged from applicants with a strong background in any current or emerging areas of Health Informatics. The university is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds, minimizing barriers, and increasing equity and completion rates between members of different demographic groups.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach and develop academic courses related to healthcare data analytics, consumer health, Health Informatics Management, Health Information technology, research and maintain academic courses based on industry needs.
- Establish independent research and publish findings and apply for external funding.
- Advise and mentor graduate students.
- Contribute to the growing Health Informatics program.
- Ph.D. in Health Informatics or related field (conferred by the time of appointment);
- Experience in Health Informatics or Health Information Management;
- Experience in machine learning, database management systems, cloud computing, predictive analytics, data visualization as it relates to health data;
- Experience in Health Information security;
- Strong commitment to teaching nine semester hours per semester;
- Teach face-to-face as well as online classes;
- Teaching experience with demonstrated innovative approaches;
- Experience in research design and research methods with a demonstrated ability to publish research findings;
- Evidence of cultural competence and demonstrated success working with diverse populations is required;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work collegially; and a
- Commitment to the mission of Xavier University of Louisiana
- Advanced training beyond the Ph.D., e.g. Post-doc, industry, etc.
- Experience teaching undergraduate and graduate courses
- Experience teaching to a diverse student body and knowledge of effective strategies (e.g. culturally responsive or inclusive pedagogy, awareness of issues that may affect the success of minoritized students) supporting underrepresented groups in STEM.
- Awareness of pedagogical best practices and ongoing commitment to developing and maintaining knowledge in this area.
- Experience mentoring undergraduate and graduate students in Health Informatics research
- An active member of national and state Health Informatics or Health Informatics and Information Management associations and/or active in eHealth initiatives.
- Professional certification in Health Informatics.
About Xavier University of Louisiana - Founded in 1925 by Saint Katherine Drexel and the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament, Xavier is the only Catholic Historically Black College and University (HBCU). Located in New Orleans, the ultimate purpose of the University is to contribute to the promotion of a more just and humane society by preparing its students to assume roles of leadership and service in a global society. This preparation takes place in a diverse learning and teaching environment that incorporates all relevant educational means, including research and community service.
How to Apply-Required Documentation: Qualified candidates are invited to apply using Xavier’s online application site by logging in to https://jobs.xula.edu. Please submit the following materials: (1) A cover letter emphasizing their qualifications for all the indicated responsibilities of the position, (2) a comprehensive CV, (3) a statement of teaching philosophy (2 pages), (4) a research statement that outlines a scholarship program appropriate for a primarily undergraduate institution (3-5 pages), (5) transcript; and (6) contact information for at least three references who can provide letters of recommendation. Questions about the position should be directed to the committee chair, Dr. Chamika Hawkins-Taylor. Xavier University of Louisiana is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. The university is especially interested in exceptionally well-qualified applicants who will contribute, through their research, teaching, and service to the diversity and excellence of the academic community. Screening of candidates will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.