GlaxoSmithKline is a world leading research-based pharmaceutical company that combines a talented workforce and technical resources to create a platform for the delivery of strong growth in a rapidly changing healthcare market. Our mission is to improve the quality of human life by enabling people to do more, feel better and live longer.
An opportunity has risen for a highly motivated and creative scientist to join a protein sciences group in the department of Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences at GSK's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The primary responsibility of the department is to design, generate and validate biological reagents for discovery activities across all of GSK's therapeutic modalities. The department also provides the structural and mechanistic understanding of drug target, molecular recognition and mode of action to deliver the best molecule.
This is a laboratory role in which the individual's primary responsibility is to deliver custom protein reagents to fill the needs of screening assays, protein structural determination, and biophysical studies in preclinical drug discovery. The individual should be aware of new and emerging techniques in protein biochemistry, particularly in high-throughput strategies and workflows. The position requires excellent communication with members of multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams. These teams encompass a broad spectrum of technical and scientific expertise and the jobholder will need to partner with these individuals to ensure that the best science drives completion of assigned tasks in a timely manner. The position requires exceptional scientific, organizational and interpersonal skills.Role Responsibilities
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Carry out expression of target recombinant proteins in E. Coli.
- Carry out purification of proteins from various sources including recombinant expression in E coli, Baculovirus and mammalian expression systems
- Characterize purified proteins using biochemical and biophysical techniques.
- Provide reagent in a timely manner to support multiple platforms, including but not limited to high throughput screening campaigns, X-ray crystallography, biophysics, and enzymology
- Completely and accurately record experimental data in lab notebooks, LIMS systems, or other appropriate repositories.
- Clearly communicate experimental results to team members through internal presentations and meetings.
- A BS in Biology, Biochemistry, or related discipline. 1+ years relevant industry experience is preferred.
- A background in recombinant protein purification and characterization and/or recombinant protein expression.
- Demonstrated protein purification experience using AKTA chromatography instrumentation.
- Prior experience with protein expression optimization in E. coli.
- Experience working with high-throughput methodologies and automation.
- Use of LC/MS and LC/MS/MS to validate and characterize proteins.
- Ability to support reagent production timeline goals, generating fit-for-purpose reagents for high throughput screening campaigns, X-ray crystallography, biophysics, and enzymology.
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
- The ability to plan, execute and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate.
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communication and presentation skills.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record