The Internal Medicine Research Unit (IMRU), is focused on developing novel therapies to address key unmet needs in cardiovascular disease. As a key member of the Internal Medicine Research Unit leadership team, this individual will be responsible for formulating and implementing a cardiometabolic therapeutic strategy as well as leading a team of researchers to create a portfolio of discovery projects from ideation to early clinical development. He/she will develop a data-driven research strategy for cardiometabolism, which includes identification and validation of targets for drug discovery and disease/target related biomarker.Substantial knowledge and experience in basic cardiovascular biology and the pathophysiology of heart failure are essential, as is evidence of substantive accomplishments in the areas of metabolic and/or cardiovascular disease.In addition, the individual will build and facilitate collaborations with partners in the scientific community, as well as within the Pfizer network.He/she will have daily interactions with and supervision of a team of 15-20 creative and innovative scientists in a supportive environment to conduct rigorous scientific and drug discovery research. Strong self-motivation, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to lead and work as part of a team are essential qualities of the role.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Apply scientific and clinical expertise to the identification and validation of new drug candidates in the area of metabolic heart disease.
- As a member of the RU leadership team, contribute to strategic planning and effective operation of the unit.
- Maintain a 'cutting edge' awareness of scientific and technical developments, human genetics, preclinical to clinical translation and apply these where possible to advance the portfolio programs.
- Design and conduct studies to increase confidence in human biology for new approaches and targets; provide strong scientific leadership and experimental guidance from target generation-to-clinical candidate programs.to a team of scientists with diverse in vitro, ex vivo and in vivo biological expertise.
- Partner effectively with multi-functional teams encompassing research (including Integrated Biology team and Chemistry) and development (including early clinical development group)
- Actively contribute to the external collaborative scientific strategy, e.g., identify and build collaborations and liaise with external scientists.
- Create an environment that values innovation, leadership, employee development, scientific excellence, urgency and accountability.
- Present research findings to the scientific community through consistent publication in peer-reviewed journals and presentation of the results at scientific meetings.
- Ensure that all research/discovery work is conducted with highest quality and in accordance with relevant regulatory, QC, and compliance guidelines.
- Provide supervision and career development opportunities for team of 15-20 colleagues.
- Advise leadership on issues of relative value and prioritization of ongoing programs.
- Actively explore opportunities for novel investments through partnerships with the outside biotech community and new scientific initiative internally.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- PhD, MD/PhD orMDwitha minimum of10-15 yrs research experience leading a research laboratory in academic or industry setting, with a sophisticated understanding of modern cardiovascular disease pathophysiology and underlying biology.
- A demonstrable record of applying the highest scientific rigor and ethical standards to the conduct of biomedical research.
- Experience leading or collaborating closely with a clinical group that carries out translation research or drug development studies.
- Demonstrated excellence in designing, executing and interpreting studies of cardiovascular disease biomarkers in nonclinical studies that enable their validation for clinical application.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively while contributing to multiple projects, thrive in a highly collaborative, multi-disciplinary team setting.Strong written/verbal communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with scientists working in other disciplines are essential.
- A demonstrated record of scientific achievement, for example through high quality and impactful publications in leading scientific and/or ,medical journals.
- Evidence for prior success in colleague mentoring and career development
- Drug discovery experience is preferred but not essential.
Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
- Supervision: 15-20 (mix between people manager and individual contributors). Potential for additional contract workers as required by department need
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development