Pfizer colleagues have many perspectives, many backgrounds and many strengths but we share one goal: to make the world a healthier place. Our investment in people is a commitment to strengthen an already remarkable company. Pfizer is a place for people who strive to learn, grow and lead.
Worldwide Research and Development at Pfizer combines research and technology units that have deep disease area expertise with partner lines that deliver cutting-edge science, generating an efficient R&D operating model, to discover and develop innovative therapies through advancing small molecules and biotherapeutics, including vaccines.
We are seeking highly motivated laboratory researchers to join the Primary Pharmacology Group (PPG) at our Groton, CT campus. The successful candidates will play a key role in developing, optimizing and validating in vitro biochemical and cell-based assays using physiologically relevant assay systems, to support target-based and phenotypic programs. They will work closely with Research Unit biologists and chemists in cross-functional teams, to deliver data for decision making at different drug discovery phases including target validation, hit identification, lead optimization and clinical candidate selection. Disease areas of focus include Inflammation and Immunology, Oncology and Rare Diseases. A strong desire to learn in a collaborative environment is essential to the role as PPG is committed to the training and development of our colleagues.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
This is an outstanding opportunity for passionate scientists, to work with a supervisor and project teams to build and apply their drug hunting skills while contributing to bringing new classes of medicines to patients.
Successful candidates will be expected to:
- Develop, optimize, validate, and execute biochemical and cell based in vitro assays with autonomy.
- Display consistent proficiency in data acquisition, analysis and quality control to provide timely, high-quality data to project teams. Learn new software applications rapidly (e.g., ABase, Excel, GraphPad Prism, Spotfire).
- Have a broad understanding of biology. Have some experience with independent experimental planning and execution and be capable of troubleshooting assays with support.
- Proactively respond to project team needs to answer specific questions on their work. Present results in individual and group settings. Build experience in assay transfer and data management (e.g., assays from Research Units or working with external vendors). Be an active team player with strong written/verbal communication skills and an enthusiastic/optimistic attitude.
- Maintain up to date electronic laboratory notebooks and records in accordance with Pfizer policy. Follow all safety guidelines and good laboratory practices.
- Adopt a continuous improvement mindset to improve quality, efficiency and/or cost of processes within lab. Demonstrate flexibility, a willingness to adopt new technologies, a good sense of humor and be adept at multi-tasking and building partnerships.
- BS with 3+ years of relevant experience or MS in biology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related scientific discipline.
- 3 years prior experience in a laboratory, preferably in a drug discovery setting.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, designing, and executing experiments including data analysis.
- Excellent computer, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with some biochemical and cell-based assay formats (e.g. qRT-PCR, HTRF, AlphaLISA, NanoBRET, FP, ELISA, FLIPR, radioactive binding, Western blot, mammalian cell culture, transfections, etc.), ideally including both execution and troubleshooting. Familiarity with plate-based screening techniques and equipment.
- Experience working with some target classes such as receptors, enzymes, or transporters.
At Pfizer, we believe in helping people lead healthier lives - from our customers to our colleagues. We offer a wide array of programs and plans that give our colleagues the flexibility and tools they need to get and stay healthy, both physically and financially. These include competitive compensation, generous medical, vacation and retirement benefits as well as a number of additional programs.
The Primary Pharmacology Group offers an exciting, fast-paced, supportive environment for colleagues, and fosters a culture encouraging openness, innovation and ownership of our science. We aim to provide scientific and growth opportunities for personal development commensurate with a colleague's goals and experience.PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to perform practical laboratory benchwork and to work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data .
- Travel is not required, however there will be opportunities to travel occasionally to Cambridge, MA to partner with Research Unit project teams and attend appropriate meetings and conferences.
- Compliance with laboratory safety practices.
- Occasional flexible schedule.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development