Exciting minds with our Biochemist Associate ApprenticeshipWhy GSK?Uniting science, talent and technology to get ahead of disease together
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves - feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing. So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to get ahead together.
Find out more:Annual Report 2021Achieve your career goals on our apprentice program
Our Biochemist Associate apprenticeship will equip you with the skills and knowledge to tackle a variety of scientific challenges working in our biopharm manufacturing laboratories - the heartbeat of our company.
This entry-level, development opportunity offers you the chance to study towards nationally recognized qualifications while gaining hands-on, paid work experience. Our apprentices attend college part-time studying theory elements of the apprenticeship while working at a GSK Biopharm Manufacturing facility.
Biochemist Associate apprentices at Upper Merion will be studying towards an Associate's Degree in Biotechnology at Montgomery County Community College. Over the 3-4 years in the Program, you will spend most of your week at the labs receiving tailored on-the-job training from our in-house industry experts, combined with early responsibility to help you develop and progress.What will you do?As a Biochemist Apprentice, you may get involved in the following activities:
You'll be excited by the thought of:
- Operating specialist laboratory equipment and instrumentation to test our products and raw materials
- Learning about the process each drug or product follows through to full scale manufacturing.
- Conducting microbiological & environmental sampling and testing
- Operating specialist equipment to improve testing procedures
- Developing your knowledge in analytical chemistry
- Building technical skills through a tailored entry-level development program, working with industry professionals
- Earning an Associate's degree at GSK's partnering community college with the potential to continue your education. GSK will pay for the apprentice's tuition costs for company approved courses related to the Associate's degree
- Being paid for the time that you spend on site working as well as in the classroom learning
- Receiving an industry-recognized “Certificate of Completion” training credential from the U.S. Department of Labor upon completion of GSK's Apprentice Program - a portable certificate of competency
- Connecting with apprentices across the US and the world
- Being part of an inclusive organization that fosters individual empowerment and builds trust
- Taking part in projects and prioritizing tasks
- Building an understanding of state-of-the-art technologies
- Developing skills in an industry that's making innovative changes to the way it develops and manufactures products
- A competitive base salary
- Fully funded college tuition and paid expenses for Associate's Degree
- An annual bonus based on company performance
- Access to healthcare and well-being programs, 401k contribution and match, paid vacation time, floating holidays, and childcare support
- Employee recognition programs, which reward exceptional achievements
- A performance and development program
- Must have earned a high school diploma or equivalency diploma by June 2021.
- High school GPA 2.5 (“B”) or above (4.0 scale)
- High school Algebra and Geometry or 2 units equivalent of academic math (GPA 2.5 or above in each case)
- High school English (GPA 2.5 or above)
- High school Biology or Chemistry (GPA 2.5 or above)
- Must have less than 30 college credits
Written and spoken fluency in EnglishStart date:
November 2022Assessment center date (anticipated):
October 2022Preferred requirements:
- Have studied AP Biology, or Chemistry
- Have studied more than 1 life science
- Less than 2-years' experience in lab (including intern or shadowing opportunity)
- Less than 2-years' experience in pharmaceutical or FDA interfacing industry (intern or shadowing opportunity)
- Must be 18 years of age by August 1, 2022
- Less than 2 years of related work experience since graduating from high school
- If offered a position the candidate must be willing to enroll, and meet entry requirements, with one of GSK's partnering community colleges or technical institutions, in the preferred related instruction course.
- Must be able to commute on a daily basis to the GSK Upper Merion site and related instruction facility
Our Application Process:
Click ‘Apply Now ' to begin the application form
We recommend you apply as soon as possible, because we accept ongoing applications and offer positions on a first come, first served basis.
If you seem like a good fit based on your application form, we will invite you to complete our World of GSK online assessment. Please complete the World of GSK by the deadline provided. Next, we will invite you to complete a phone interview. If you succeed in the online assessment, and the phone interview, you will be invited to join us for the final stage: our Assessment Center. We anticipate that our Assessment Center will take place in May 2022. The start date for the apprenticeship is August 2022.#ApprenticeUS#BiochemistApprenticeUS
We have changed the way we recruit in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, you can learn more about how our practices have adapted here
. We're 100% open to all talent
We're 100% open to all talent - whatever your gender, marital status, religion, age, colour, race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability. We want to recruit the right people for GSK from the widest possible backgrounds, so we can better serve the diversity of our patients and consumers. And also because it's the right thing to do. Need help with your application?
Please email us at email@example.com
and let us know how we can help you. Or email us your number and we'll call you back. We'll make all reasonable modifications to support you throughout the recruitment process and we'll treat all information you give us in confidence. Please get in touch to help us process your application as soon as possible.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record