Location: Rockville, MD - onsiteExpert Scientist Upstream CHO Protein Vaccines
Are you energized by a challenging role in biology, where scientific demand is driving team growth? If so, this Expert Scientist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
The Mammalian Expression Technology Center of Excellence (Technical Research & Development, GSK Vaccines) is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced, and motivated Expert Scientist with a strong understanding and experience in upstream scale-up technologies to drive the establishment of CHO based production cell lines and early upstream process flow for innovative recombinant protein/adjuvanted vaccine projects and platforms. Located in Rockville, MD, the position will contribute to the success of the GSK CHO recombinant protein vaccine platform.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following…
Design and Development of upstream processes for mammalian (primarily CHO) antigen expression projects in early stage. Streamline/harmonizing vaccine antigen development workflows related to upstream development Facilitate early on-boarding of pipeline programs from early discovery/preclinical function for acceleration, including providing early developability/manufacturability assessment. Facilitate process transfer to development units for later stage development/life cycle management in in Global Cell& Viral Drug Substance organization. Development of high throughput and robust upstream process development capabilities to support: Cell line development/bioprocess suitability study Cell culture design space definition Early CMC development (downstream development, analytical development, and drug product development) Discovery enablement (preclinical material supply) Establishing robust control strategy Media development and optimization
Support platformization efforts in the cell line development and upstream processing area Development/implementation of fit-for-purpose advanced data analytic (e.g. In-Silico modelling) technology for rapid upstream development. Serve as a subject matter expert for early upstream process development, stay ahead with the latest quality and regulatory guidance to support pipeline project documentation and accelerated CMC submissions. Partner with diverse team members from various functions, multiple countries and members at various levels in organization. Benchmark specific technologies in own functional area to bring technology to state of the art. Solve complex problems through analytical thinking to identify and understand alternatives using knowledge gained through formal education, experience and sound judgment. Prepare oral and written reports to communicate scientific findings and to support project documentation and CMC submissions. Comply with data integrity requirements for laboratory work.
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Advanced Degree (Master with 6 years or PhD with 2 years of relevant experiences) in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Chemical Engineering, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, or a related scientific field.
- 2 or more years experience with mammalian cell culture of large biomolecule product streams (Recombinant protein, subunit vaccines, and mAb/bsAbs/msAbs.
- Minimum 1 year hands-on experience with bioreactor.
- Minimum 1 year working experience with process scale-up
- 2 or more years experience in research and development in a biopharmaceutical industry or government laboratory setting.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Why GSK? Our values and expectations
- In-depth knowledge background in process scale-up for complex biomolecule production.
- Understanding of Quality by Design and the development of a process control strategy.
- Experiences with upstream process intensification (e.g. N-1/N-2 perfusion; concentrated fed-batch workstream)
- Strong hands-on experience with a wide range of upstream techniques for large molecule production, including AMBRs, Wave and SUBs at bench scale up to 50 L.
- Experience in advanced upstream data analytics tool including in-silico bioreactor simulations/digital twins and advanced statistic analysis (e.g. MVDA).
- Design and execute DOE studies & high-throughput screen for upstream process improvements and advancements including parameter optimization, scale-up, process window determination and process capability evaluation.
- Knowledge of technology transfer and GMP manufacturing.
- Be able to rapidly acquire project understanding and apply professional knowledge to project improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently work in a fast paced and fluid environment, changes in priority and timeline restrictions
are at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together - so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organisation where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We're committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record