We're seeking an experienced Discovery Project Leader to join the team on a permanent, full-time basis. Discovery Project Leaders within the Immunology Research Unit are dedicated to the end-to-end leadership of projects spanning the entire drug discovery horizon, from target validation through to the nomination of high-quality clinical candidates.
As a Discovery Project Leader, you have the single point of accountability for multi-functional research teams comprising subject matter experts drawn from across the GSK Research and Platform groups, focussing them to deliver timely, high-quality decisions. Together with your matrix teams, you will develop a medicine vision and value proposition for each of the discovery projects you lead. As the project single point of accountability, you will demonstrate a thorough understanding of drug discovery project progression and tactics, have a comprehensive grasp of discovery project needs and timelines, and an ability to interrogate the competitive landscape. You will challenge your teams to develop a differentiated medicine profile and will clearly articulate how a resultant medicine could be positioned in an area of unmet need.
Through your role as a Discovery Project Leader, you will receive significant exposure to senior management and will be recognized as a scientific leader within the organization. You will meet regularly with the Immunology Research Unit Head and their leadership team to update them on changes to objectives, timelines, and strategy for each project in your portfolio. You will also interact with senior management (e.g., Head of Research) and relevant internal governance committees (e.g., Research Review Board) or external Advisory Committees (e.g., Scientific Advisory Board) as required.
This role will provide you the opportunity to lead key activities to progress your career, these responsibilities include some of the following Project Leadership - Develop a medicine vision and value proposition for the program
Matrix Leadership - Build and nurture high performing project teams
- Partner with subject matter experts to develop a plan to deliver on the medicine vision
- Lead the team to identify core risks to the delivery of the molecule and path to the medicine itself and putting into place plans to mitigate these risks
- Understanding next steps for the project and proactively engaging appropriate subject-matter experts to plan and execute
- Responsible for establishing the decision / inflection points that enable data driven project decision-making
- Define and execute the target validation, lead identification and lead optimization strategies for your projects
- Able to reconcile data; at time with conflicting data, to make informed recommendations
Portfolio Context - Understand the strategic positioning of the program to the internal portfolio and competitor landscape
- Lead and inspire, be curious and strategic, and clearly communicate to the team and senior leaders
- Drive urgency across your teams to deliver timely data-driven project recommendations
- Identify and proactively address diminishers of team performance
- Communicate the project value proposition relative to the GSK portfolio and competitive landscape
- Recommend when GSK should continue to invest in the medicine vision, recommend when to accelerate and when to terminate projects in the portfolio
Why you? Basic Qualifications
- Solicit engagement from the internal and external scientific community, engage in robust dialogue that generates insight and advances scientific understanding of your projects
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD, MD, MSc, or BSc in a scientific discipline of relevance to drug discovery.
- 5+ years of drug discovery experience.
- Previous or current experience as a project leader in a drug-discovery environment.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- A demonstrable track record of developing and delivering successful outcomes through a diverse team.
- A demonstrable ability to influence without authority in a highly matrixed environment.
- Experience in the fields of immunology, neuroscience, genetics or functional genomic target progression.
- Proven ability to think and plan strategically, to lead and work with members of other functions within a matrix environment.
- Familiarity with modality selection and screening strategies for discovery projects.
- Ability to integrate and lead a team of multi-discipline experts including biology, chemistry, safety assessment, computational sciences, clinical scientists, translational scientists, and others.
- Ability to align resources (people and financial), team objectives and strategies behind the vision; ensures resource gaps are identified and where possible, filled or managed.
- Create and lead an empowered, motivated team where diversity of thought is encouraged.
- Able to engage and leverage internal and external networks to drive performance and results.
For Project Leader roles located in the PL CoE, please follow the links below:
- First-hand experience of all phases of early drug discovery from target validation to candidate selection.
- Understands the entirety of R&D across discovery and development.
- A demonstrable track record of developing and delivering successful outcomes through a diverse team
- A demonstrable ability to influence without authority in a highly matrixed environment
- Experience leading multiple projects concurrently
Senior Director: https://lnkd.in/etDuJHfm
Associate Director: https://lnkd.in/eZpbxJEa Why GSK?
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record