Why Patients Need You
At Pfizer, we deliver Breakthroughs That Change Patients' Lives. In the Medicine Design group, we play a vital role in this mission through the designing and synthesizing of new medicines. We are seeking leaders in Medicinal Chemistry to join our world-class Medicine Design team in Groton, CT to further build innovation in Medicinal Chemistry, Molecular Design, and Structure-Based Drug Design to deliver Pfizer's drugs of the future.
Designing new medicines at Pfizer requires teams that utilize a diverse set of skills, behaviors, and approaches. Creativity, scientific excellence, tenacity, passion, hard work, organization, teamwork, courage, open-mindedness, and curiosity - are just some of the traits successful Drug Discovery Scientists display at Pfizer. We are looking for ambitious Medicinal Chemists, eager to see their work lead to important new medicines and scientific breakthroughs, to join our team.
The Medicine Design group at Pfizer comprises experts in the major scientific disciplines involved in the discovery and preclinical development of small molecule drugs: molecular design, synthesis, computational chemistry, pharmacology, chemical biology, structural biology, biophysics, DMPK, and analytical chemistry. We have long been renowned for delivering high-quality drug candidates into the clinic and for establishing new drug design approaches and principles, such as the "Rule of 5", LipE, and property-based drug design, that have raised the bar of quality within the discipline and are widely adopted across the industry.What You Will Achieve
As an NMR Scientist in the Design and Syntheses Sciences (DSS) group, you will be a key part of DSS NMR which leverages small molecule NMR to drive the design and synthesis of Pfizer's medicinal chemistry portfolio. You will work closely with medicinal chemistry to elucidate compound structures and stereochemical determinations as well as solution conformation analyses to drive stage-gate transitions for the Pfizer Discovery Portfolio. You will also represent the NMR group in internal/external presentations and publications. How You Will Achieve It
- Improve and maintain the fleet of small molecule NMR instrumentation in collaboration with other DSS NMR colleagues
- Characterize and elucidate the structure of small molecules, nucleic acids, macrocycles, and peptides using advanced 1D and 2D N MR techniques
- Perform conformational analyses to establish molecular solution conformations to drive lead compound optimizations
- Supports and contributes to the evolution of the DSS Group's culture of teamwork and scientific excellence.
- Contribute to the development of new technology in DSS NMR like microscale high-throughput NMR, high-throughput and flow reaction monitoring by NMR, or automated structure verification
- Identify and apply other analytical techniques beyond NMR to solve chemical or molecular-structural challenges
- Bachelor's or Master's level degree in chemistry or physics plus 9+ years (Bachelor) or 6+ years (Master) experience with a strong background in NMR spectroscopy.
- Research experience in structure elucidation with a track record of accomplishments in the area of small molecule organic structure elucidation
- Knowledge of NMR instrumentation (both hardware and software) and the ability to maintain instrumentation and automation (Bruker and JEOL)
- Working knowledge of either ACD or MestreLab NMR software
- Strong communication skills and a demonstrated ability to strongly contribute to independent research projects
Other Job Details
- Experience with mass spectrometry and other analytical methods and a good knowledge of organic chemistry
- Experience with computer programming or information technology
- Experience in NMR facility management
- Interpersonal skills to constructively challenge other scientists to ensure the group performs at a high level.
- Eligible for relocation support.
- Work Location Assignment:On Premise. On Premise colleagues work in a Pfizer site because it's needed to get their job done. They may have flexibility to work remotely from time to time, but they are primarily on-site.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development