We have an immediate need for a seasoned Research Assistant with at least 5 years experience as a Technician
Working with a high degree of independence and under general direction, the Research Assistant 4 will coordinate major activities in protein biochemistry/biophysics and related technical areas in the laboratory. Key responsibilities include daily protein production for the various projects of the laboratory, record keeping, experimentation, and support of lab and postdoctoral personnel with orders, reagents, and buffers etc.
- Coordinate major activities of laboratory/ research. Solely responsible for protein production and enzymatic and biophysical assays for activity in the laboratory. Harvest overnight bacterial/yeast/insect cell cultures expressing recombinant protein, and process for protein purification using lab protocols. Place purified proteins in dialysis for further purification steps the following day. Conduct enzymatic and biochemical/biophysical assays with purified proteins and lipids (liposomes, lipid nanotubes etc.). Responsible for lab organization, vendor research, ordering, and maintaining laboratory (e.g., freezer) stocks. (30%)
- Perform the most complex quantitative analytical procedures utilizing scientific software (e.g., Origin, Graphpad Prism) for data analyses regarding protein functionality, folding, protein-lipid and protein-protein interactions. Perform high level calculation of data, interpret data and make recommendations to the principal investigator regarding protocol improvement and reproducibility. (30%)
- May supervise research assistants, students, and technicians as well as produce proteins and perform assays for other lab personnel. (10%)
- Assist in developing and improving protocols for current and new proteins that the lab chooses to work on. Coordinate information with others as needed. (10%)
- Teach or instruct others in research techniques including protein expression, purification and characterization as necessary. (10%)
- Co-author research projects. Write detailed protocols, methods, and produce figures for publication. (6%)
Experience: 5 to 8 years of related experience required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry or related fields required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience as a skilled biochemist with vast experience in protein production (recombinantly from E. coli, yeast, insect cells etc.), protein purification, and various chromatography techniques.
- Experience in the use of chromatography instrumentation and other standard, common laboratory equipment.
- Experience in the use of AKTA and Biorad chromatography systems.
- Basic protein characterization skills such as SDS-PAGE, absorbance and CD spectroscopy is an absolute must.
- Has knowledge of commonly used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field.
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
- Ability to operate laboratory equipment.
- Ability to meet consistent attendance.
- Ability to interact with colleagues, supervisors and customers face to face.
General laboratory environment. May have exposure to lab chemicals. Personal protective equipment, including gloves, lab coats, and goggles will be provided to limit exposure to hazards.
Please forward your resume to email@example.com