Are you energized by the challenge of shaping, accelerating, and ultimately delivering novel drugs with the potential to treat human disease? If so, this non-Phd Protein Science Senior Scientist opportunity will allow you to contribute to and ultimately drive early drug discovery at GSK.
An opportunity has risen for a highly motivated and creative scientist to join a protein sciences group in the department of Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences at GSK's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The primary responsibility of the department is to design, generate and validate biological reagents for discovery activities across all of GSK's therapeutic modalities. The department also provides the structural and mechanistic understanding of drug target, molecular recognition and mode of action to deliver the best molecule.
This is a laboratory role in which the individual's primary responsibility is to design and deliver custom protein reagents to fill the needs of uHTS assays, protein structural determination, and biophysical studies in preclinical drug discovery. The individual should be familiar with new and emerging assay, protein chemistry, and higher throughput structural biology technologies. The position requires excellent communication with members of multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams. These teams encompass a broad spectrum of technical and scientific expertise and the jobholder will need to partner with these individuals to ensure that the best science drives completion of assigned tasks in a timely manner. The position requires exceptional scientific, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.Critical Responsibilities
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Develop and optimize expression and purification of proteins from various sources including recombinant expression in E coli, Baculovirus and mammalian expression systems
- Characterization of proteins and biological systems using biochemical, biophysical and structural techniques
- Design relevant protein expression/purification strategies for external partners, then provide technical oversight once external work package initiated
- Expertise with protein biochemical modifications/conjugation including: biotinylation, fluorescent labeling, and intein-mediated protein ligations
- In conjunction with internal and external partners (including biotech and academic labs) evaluate and implement new technologies to enable higher throughput x-ray crystallography, the industrialization of cryo-EM for early drug discovery, and rapid chemical tool identification for target validation
- Independently execute laboratory experiments and/or advanced data analysis and reduction, integration, and interpretation with an emphasis on providing appropriate context for data and experiments to progress programs and/or platforms
- Prepare research reports, give internal and external presentations, contribute to publications
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- A MS in Biochemistry, Enzymology, Biophysics, Chemical Biology or related field with 2+ years of industry experience, or a BS with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Laboratory experience in recombinant protein expression, purification, and characterization is required; experience in enzymology, assay development, protein engineering, and protein mass spectrometry is desirable.
- Strong, independent research background in recombinant protein expression, purification, and reagent activity analysis, preferably on a range of proteins.
- Support reagent production timeline goals of generating fit-for-purpose reagents for HTS, x-ray crystallography, cryo-EM, protein NMR, biophysics, and enzymology
- Protein engineering experience using genetic, enzymatic, chemo-enzymatic, chemical or related methodologies
- Practical knowledge of mass spectrometry for protein identification, protein characterization and protein-ligand interactions.
- Ability to plan and execute multiple tasks concurrently and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
- Experience demonstrating organizational, analytical, communication and presentation skills
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record