Scientist: Cell Biologist, Cell Biology, and In Vitro ModelsLocation: Rockville, MD mainly onsite
We are looking for a highly motivated and innovative cell biologist with experience in primary cell culture, in vitro assays and 3D models who can contribute to multiple projects to help advance a wide variety of vaccine candidates through preclinical development.
The goal of this Cell Biologist position will be focused on developing and qualifying in vitro assays and establishing complex 3-dimensional (3D) models to be used for characterization of vaccine candidates. The Cell Biologist will bring to the team knowledge of cell biology and experience in in vitro assay optimization. He/she will also participate in the set-up of 3D models such as bio-printed tissues, organs on chip and/or organoids. Data generated by the scientist will provide critical information to enable strategic decision making by the vaccine project teams. If you enjoy working together with others to build a successful vaccine pipeline, this job may be for you! Responsibilities:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Perform in vitro assays to measure a variety of cellular responses, such as cytokine production, protein expression, on different cell types or tissues.
- Perform ELISAs or Luminex assays
- Optimize cell culture conditions for primary cells, cell lines and 2D and 3D cell culture models.
- Assist in the characterization and optimization of mRNA vaccine platforms
- Analyze, interpret and record experimental results and present them in written/oral communications.
- Work cross-functionally across the GSK Vaccines and Pharma network to coordinate and execute studies by collaborating with scientists throughout the organization to support bioimaging activities.
- Cultivate extramural activities with collaborators from academic and research organizations
- Develop and execute new methods and protocols and proactively incorporate new technology or techniques into practice with minimal supervision.
- Perform complex data management tasks to deliver data that informs vaccine research activities with scientific independence and minimal supervision.
- Support vaccine development-related scientific investigations
- Contribute to publications in scientific journals and patent filings.
- Train students and/or junior lab personnel as needed
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Biological Sciences OR master's degree with a minimum of 5 years laboratory experience working in pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry, academic or government institutes
- 4 years minimum experience in primary cell culture
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
To be successful in the role, this person must:
- Experience working in 3D models
- Experience withELISAs/Luminex/ligand-binding assays
- Prior experience with the analysis of human biological samples (HBS) and knowledge of the HBS specific precautions.
- Prior experience working with RNA and virology
- Experience in assay development and qualification.
- Demonstrated track record of written and oral communication (published papers, regulatory documents, posters and/or oral presentations).
- Demonstrated track record of internal and external collaborations
- Experience with flow cytometry, high-content imaging, and molecular biology techniques.
- Must be detail oriented; possess problem solving skills and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Able to efficiently manage uncertainty, changes in priority and timeline restrictions
- Demonstrate knowledge of cellular biology as it applies to vaccines or related field
- Have practical knowledge in a wide variety of molecular biology techniques, cell culture, and working with primary human cells
- Demonstrate willingness to spend ~80% of one's time in the research laboratory
- Have the ability to understand, interpret, and communicate complex scientific data to determine next steps
- Be a self-starter, able to handle multiple projects concurrently
- Possess a good balance of creativity and analytical thinking faculties
- Display an ability to be productive and successful in an intense work environment
- Work effectively as a Team Player
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
*This is a job description to aide in the job posting, but does not include all job evaluation details.
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record