The Director, COVID-19 Scientific Affairs will be on the cutting edge of COVID-19 vaccine and therapeutic research at the premier company for COVID-19 science globally. At a time and place where trusted researchers are needed more than ever, the Director, COVID-19 Scientific Affairs contributes to strategic clinical research projects to understand the evolving pandemic and to inform global policy decisions.
The incumbent will support cross functional research initiatives for the current BNT162b2 vaccine and other potential COVID-19 candidates (e.g., against other variants of concern) and COVID-19 treatments. The incumbent will be skillful with data visualization and presentation tools to convert complex analysis into meaningful insights and will be able to manipulate and analyze complex structured and unstructured data from multiple real world data sources. In addition to the analytic component of the position, the incumbent will develop and deliver presentations, webinars, and other communication outlets, as needed. Studies include, but are not limited to machine learning, natural language processing, large population-based effectiveness studies, prospective studies, pragmatic trials, country effectiveness and impact evaluations and modeling and forecasting disease activity.
The incumbent will have responsibility for synthesizing the literature and contributing to the design, conduct and reporting of global epidemiologic research studies on assigned Pfizer products. The incumbent will support epidemiological and data generation strategies to obtain vaccine technical committees recommendations and authorizations, scientific data packages to support Phase IV/late-stage regulatory interactions and real world clinical studies to further understand the evolving epidemiology of the pandemic and inform policy decisions. Limited support for non-COVID-19 projects may be required as necessary on an ad hoc basis based on priorities of the organization.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIESAs the Director, COVID-19 Scientific Affairs, the incumbent will be responsible for providing research support and disseminating data from the scientific affairs and clinical epidemiology activities for COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics.
Given the public health crisis due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the COVID-19 vaccine franchise has become one of MDSCA's most important vaccine franchises. Real world data is, now more than ever, essential to understanding the evolving pandemic and making strategic decisions that affect everyone around the globe. Growth of the COVID-19 franchise is likely to continue and it will remain a critical vaccine asset for the Vaccines BU.These responsibilities include the following:
- Accountable for synthesis and oral and written dissemination of real world COVID-19 data.
- Contribute to the designs and analytics of key/priority aspects of epidemiologic COVID-19 research programs, including study design, protocol preparation, analytics and preparation of data collection forms and data tabulations, preparing data summaries/reports, publications (e.g. scientific manuscripts, abstracts, posters, internal and external presentations), systematic reviews, technical reports, webinars and social media communication.
- Contributes to the integration of scientific information (epidemiology, disease burden, public health value, etc.) in the COVID-19 vaccine asset.
- Support the execution of epidemiology studies - both field studies involving primary data collection and secondary analyses of real-world data or registries.
- Develop innovative approaches for communication modalities to address global epidemiological challenges related to COVID-19 as they apply to COVID-19 vaccines and therapeutics.
- Identify innovative approaches to understanding the interaction between COVID-19 and other etiologies such as pneumococcus, and to evaluate implications for integrated vaccination strategies across Respiratory Vaccines.
- Identify, establish, and maintain relationships with external partners and institutions that can collaborate with high priority global studies.
- Work with internal and external experts in statistics to analyze and interpret data from key vaccines and therapeutic epidemiology studies.
- Critiques internally and externally written manuscripts/published literature.
- Contributes to assessing business need and developing a precise analytic solution
- Maintains awareness of internal and external data resources and identifies appropriate studies for addressing questions of interest, recognizing the limitations and strengths of various design options.
- In addition to the analytic component of the position, the incumbent will develop and deliver presentations, webinars, and other communication outlets, as needed.
Candidate demonstrates a breadth of diverse leadership experiences and capabilities including: the ability to influence and collaborate with peers, develop and coach others, oversee and guide the work of other colleagues to achieve meaningful outcomes and create business impact.
- PhD in infectious disease epidemiology or closely related field with at least 6 years of experience; or MD with at least 3 years of experience and additional research training in infectious disease, public health, epidemiology, or close-related field (board certified in infectious diseases preferred) with 3-5 years of experience in a clinical/research setting with medical/scientific activities including research, clinical, and epidemiological programs.
- Exceptional Master's level (e.g., MPH, MSPH, MS) candidates with at least 5-7 years of experience will also be considered.
- Vaccine and disease area expertise (training or experience in infectious diseases, respiratory pathogens, vaccinology/immunology, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in working in a matrixed environment.
- Demonstrated strong technical writing skills with a track-record of publishing in peer-reviewed journals and medical/scientific conferences.
- Able to review, evaluate, interpret, and present complex data.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including scientific writing, presentation development and interpersonal skills.
- Able to be flexible and adjust to changing priorities
- Demonstrated strong work ethic, and proven record of delivering high quality within tight timelines.
Other Job Details:
- Experience in machine learning and natural language processing experience
- Demonstrated success working with varied structured and unstructured data
- Track-record of publications related to infectious diseases or vaccines
- Ability to identify innovative solutions and work through internal processes and procedures to enhance the utility of real-world data
- Knowledge of regulatory and labeling pathway for vaccines
- Knowledge of the commercial and environmental issues that drive development vaccine projects
- Knowledge of vaccines and immunization programs
- Ability to manage priorities and succeed on cross-functional teams and complex projects to deliver milestones according to set timelines
- Ability to present to and be comfortable discussing scientific research to multiple internal and external audiences
- Ability to take initiative to identify opportunities for improvement and communicate ideas across levels of the organization
Last Date to Apply for Job: October 15th, 2022
Additional Location Information: US - Remote; Europe - Remote
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.