SBP is a preeminent, independent biomedical research institute dedicated to understanding human biology and disease, and advancing scientific discoveries to profoundly impact human health. For over 40 years, our research has produced breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology and children’s diseases, and is anchored by our NCI-designated cancer center and advanced drug discovery capabilities.
Dr. Adams’ lab investigates the impact of chromatin and epigenetics on cellular senescence, aging and cancer. The lab strives to be highly collaborative with other labs in San Diego, the US and elsewhere, for example collaborating with computational biologists, immunologists, experts in specific mouse models of cancer and aging, and surgeons, pathologists and clinical oncologists. For more information, see http://www.padamslab.org and Twitter - @AdamsBioAging
Applications are invited from ambitious, independent and motivated candidates to join the lab of Professor Peter D. Adams investigating the epigenetics of aging and cancer at Sanford-Burnham-Prebys Medical Discovery Institute, San Diego. The specific project in the broad epigenetics-cancer-aging area can be discussed, but possible projects include: 1) investigating age-dependent epigenetic changes that lead to increased incidence of cancer with age, for example in mouse models of leukemia; 2) investigating loss of cell identity with age, and impact on tissue function and disease; 3) leading a project in the lab as part of the San Diego Tissue Mapping Center of SenNet (https://commonfund.nih.gov/senescence).
The project can employ state-of-the-art molecular and cellular biology approaches, including ChIP-seq, RNA-seq, ATAC-seq, DNA methyl-seq and other large-scale epigenomic and chromatin analyses, including at the single-cell level and spatial “-omics” at the single cell level; high throughput chemical and RNAi/CRISPR phenotypic screens; cell imaging; state-of-the-art gene manipulations using RNAi and CRISPR technology. In addition, we routinely employ sophisticated mouse models and human tissues.
San Diego is an outstanding scientific environment and a fabulous place to live.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Pro-actively and semi-independently lead a project focused on epigenetics of aging and/or cancer.
- Perform cell and molecular biology experiments
- Work with mouse models of cancer and aging
- Generate hypotheses, design experiments, interpret data, trouble shoot and optimize experiments
- Collaborate and synergize with other members of the lab to promote lab synergies
- Present results to lab members at weekly lab mtgs.
- Present results and data within SBP, local La Jolla mtgs and national and international meetings, as appropriate.
- Maintain and initiate collaborations between Adams lab and other labs in SBP, San Diego, US and worldwide.
- Candidates should have, or be working towards, a PhD or equivalent degree in a biological science
- Experience and/or expertise in an aspect of cell and/or molecular biology and/or animal models is highly desired
Other Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities
- Knowledge of molecular biology of chromatin and/or epigenetics is ideal
- Knowledge of statistical methods applied to biology
- Familiarity with public bioinformatics databases and resources.
- Computational expertise is an advantage, but not essential.
- Communicates effectively and collaborates well with Principal Investigators and their team members
- Have strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Possess strong attention to detail, analytical and time management skills
- Excellent data presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Embody the Institute’s core values of Commitment, Collaboration, Communication, Community and Compassion
The scientists at Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute are making research breakthroughs in cancer, neuroscience, immunology, and children's disease. We are also at the forefront of finding solutions for health threats such as COVID-19, where we are working to identify drugs that may help millions of people. During our more than 40 year history, we have established an NCI-designated Cancer Center, designed one of the most sophisticated drug discovery centers in the nonprofit world, and created global collaborations that are leading to preventions, treatments and cures to improve human health.
Sanford Burnham Prebys Medical Discovery Institute is an Equal Opportunity employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability – committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other protected status as designated by federal, state or local law.