We are recruiting an experienced and highly motivated Senior Scientist/Biochemist to join the Department of Screening, Profiling & Mechanistic Biology (SPMB) at GSK's Upper Providence research facility in Collegeville, Pennsylvania. The SPMB department is committed to the discovery and mechanistic characterization of high-quality small molecule and biomolecular pre-clinical candidates. The candidate can foresee working in a highly motivating, fast-paced, collaborative and challenging research environment in which delivering a therapeutic solution to patients is the primary focus. (The position will report to a senior scientist within SPMB.)
The SPMB department identifies and delivers high quality, biologically relevant pre-clinical leads for GSK therapeutic areas. The candidate will be expected to employ a combination of scientific tools and methodologies in lead discovery, including enzyme activity and binding assay development, ligand-target mechanism of engagement studies, high throughput screening, and compound profiling. The position requires a demonstrated working knowledge in biochemistry and enzymology; experience with techniques as they apply to protein based assay development, reaction kinetics, and mechanistic studies is highly desirable. The Key Skills and Responsibilities Of The Senior Scientist Include:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Develop and execute target relevant, fit for purpose biochemical/enzymatic assays;
- Practical knowledge of quantitative characterization of enzyme-inhibitor and activator interactions, experimental determination of inhibitor mechanism of action.
- Engage with team scientists to matrix across the discovery processes from reagent validation, assay development, hit identification, through profiling and and/or medium-high throughput screening to support early hit identification and progression of candidate quality molecules.
- Experience in assaying and characterizing the in vitro pharmacology of small molecules and biologics with target proteins using a variety of assay platforms.
- Familiarity with small molecule drug discovery, experience with enzyme based assay formats in low and/or high throughput formats is highly desired.
- Provide scientific and technical support for multiple project teams in diverse therapeutic areas.
- Must be able to work independently or collaboratively in an open lab setting.
- Good laboratory management; document completed lab work and results promptly, clearly, and accurately in electronic notebooks.
- Review literature and the findings of other researchers and attend conferences
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- B.Sc/M.S degree with 2-5 years post-degree research laboratory experience in biochemistry, enzymology, biophysics, chemistry or a related field is required.
- Design, develop, and execute target relevant, fit for purpose biochemical/enzymatic assays;
- Experience demonstrating knowledge of enzyme kinetics, quantitative characterization of enzyme-ligand interactions, experimental determination of mechanism of action.
- Experience with automated liquid dispensing and/or experience with RapidFire MS assays is a plus.
- Experience designing and executing biochemical medium to high throughput assays in early hit discovery programs utilizing standard screening technologies.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experience in the design, development, and execution of biochemical assays characterizing the in vitro pharmacology of small molecules and biologics with target proteins using a variety of assay platforms such as absorbance, fluorescence, FRET, polarization, and mass spectrometry based detection.
- Good computer skills, e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint, data analysis software, etc...
- S trong interpersonal and collaboration skills; a bility to communicate results to diverse audiences
- Communicate, engage, and build positive relationships with internal research partners.
- Analyze, interpret and present data to project team.
- Adapt to changing priorities.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record