We are seeking talented and highly motivated biologists to join Genomic Sciences (GS) and work closely with the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) to identify and progress genetically-associated targets in opportunistic diseases such as ophthalmology, hearing loss/tinnitus, and others.
The selected candidates will support the following workflow for one or more disease areas:
- Work closely with genetic, clinical, and biology subject matter experts to define searchable phenotypes aligned with disease area
- Perform high level, in silico triage of genetically-associated targets that meet the criteria established in the above step (~10-100s targets per disease) using criteria of biology, tractability, safety, and novelty.
- Perform more detailed review on remaining targets of interest (~3-10) and discuss with a panel of internal drug discovery experts (genetic, clinical, biology) to support a go/no go progression decision.
- Perform detailed review and develop target validation plans for remaining targets of interest (expect ~ 1-3 targets per disease) and present to panel of drug development experts (may include external consultants) for go/no go progression to externalized studies decision.
- Establish external relationship(s) with CRO and/or academic partners for target validation studies.
- Interpret and present data and preclinical research plan to GSK governance for progression beyond target validation.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career. Responsibilities include some of the following:
Why you?Basic Qualifications:
- Efficiently triage large number of targets/disease area using available data (genetics, expression, literature etc).
- Develop target validation plans for genetically-associated targets to build confidence for progression to small molecule or monoclonal antibody discovery.
- Concisely and clearly present to a panel of drug discovery, biology, and clinical experts for decision-making on progression to externalized research.
- Design target validation studies that may include (i) molecular and cellular biology (cell lines and iPSc) techniques such as CRISPR knock-out, si/shRNA editing, treatments with tool compounds, antibodies, recombinant protein and (ii) in vivo studies.
- Identify and initiate (with support of relevant business partners at GSK) externalized progression path for planned target validation, which could include Science Exchange, CROs, and/or academic collaborations.
- For all externalized research, maintain records of experimental data using data integrity standards and present data at quarterly to half-year meetings with GS and NHG leadership.
- Pending results from target validation, design and bring to GSK governance an externalized research plan for preclinical discovery.
- Enjoy working in a delivery-focused team at the forefront of GSK R&D strategy, where their work will directly contribute to identification of the next generation of medicines
- Comply with GSK's standards and practices for data integrity, ethics, and safety
- Candidates with a Master's degree in Cellular and Molecular biology with over (5+) five years of research experience in academia/industry and demonstrated ability to execute innovative research activities will also be considered.
- 2+ years of experience in biochemical and cell biology techniques routinely required for target validation studies and a working knowledge of in vivo studies.
- Scientific innovation as evidenced by peer-reviewed publications, conference presentations or patents.
- Experience performing target identification triage and developing/executing on target validation plans
- Experience in working closely with multidisciplinary teams and collaborating across organizational boundaries.
- Experience in identifying and establishing academic collaborations to access subject matter experts and model systems for target validation.
- Ph.D in Cellular and Molecular Biology, or Life Sciences with minimum 2 years post-PhD experience.
- Strong communication skills with demonstrated ability to interpret and present experimental data to various forums, from scientific group meetings to GSK leadership / governance.
- Ability to maintain records as per GSK data integrity SOPs.
- Hands-on experience in current molecular biology techniques (e.g. mRNA/protein isolation, qPCR, ELISA, Western, transfection and application of siRNA/anti-sense oligos). Expertise in assay development, validation and ability to trouble shooting issues related to assay validation.
- Experience working directly with mechanisms involved in disease including complex in vitro disease models and in vivo models of disease progression.
- Experience of evaluating small molecule or mAb in in vitro and in vivo in disease models. The ideal candidate will have prior experience of selecting and validating drug targets.
- Flexibility, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects to meet timelines while maintaining attention to detail and high-performance standards.
- Strong understanding of small- and/or large-molecule drug discovery.
Candidates may be co-located at any of the GSK Research locations in the US/UK. Remote working may be possible, pending on the candidate and level of experience.Why GSK?
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose - tounite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together
- so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns - as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to impact the health of 2.5 billion people around the world in the next 10 years.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it's also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a place where people feel inspired, encouraged and challenged to be the best they can be. A place where they can be themselves - feeling welcome, valued and included. Where they can keep growing and look after their wellbeing.So, if you share our ambition, join us at this exciting moment in our journey to getGet Ahead Together
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record