Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best-in-class medicines to patients around the world.
Pfizer's Vaccine Research and Development organization has been at the forefront of making history and improving human health - including creating some of the most complex and most sophisticated vaccines in the world, designed to tackle a wide range of infectious diseases of large unmet medical needs in people of all ages. WHAT YOU WILL ACHIEVE
As a Program Director, Vaccine Development Management
, you will provide overall project management expertise for Vaccine Research & Development (VRD) Program Teams. You will be using your in-depth experience to ensure creation of strategic and operational objectives from early (lead) development through Proof of Concept or licensure of the product depending on the program. This role ensures the operational deliverables of the project are achieved on or ahead of schedule and within budget, such that they meet the desired product profile (i.e. quality standard, value), business deliverables and/or key criteria, as required. You will also s upport organizational portfolio planning and governance processes, as needed. HOW YOU WILL ACHIEVE IT Program Strategy
Program Planning and Management
- Partners with the Research Lead, Clinical Lead and team members to develop forward thinking programs that maximize medical and commercial value.
- Applies extensive expertise and in-depth knowledge of the vaccine development process and project management tools to drive team alignment in creation of development strategy, plans and budgets of programs from early development through licensure and post- approval commitments
- Analyzes vaccine portfolio and strategy issues. Develops and prepares executive reports and presentations for Pfizer vaccine stakeholders.
- Uses expertise in project management planning tools to support major program/project milestones.
- Understands how individual project timelines affect an overall program (portfolio of projects).
- Drives program/project issue resolution by working with key stakeholders.
- Routinely exhibits the courage to confront and quickly resolve difficult issues or conflicts.
- Takes a position in controversial issues when appropriate and expertly challenges the team to reach high-quality decisions that are in the best interests of the program.
- Communicates effectively with VRD senior management and beyond to assure timely decisions are made.
Scientific/ Technical Knowledge
- Working with other internal Pfizer organizations help facilitate the vaccine portfolio prioritization process, as needed.
- Support long-term planning for the development management function by forecasting future workload, resource demands, etc. to ensure high-quality, effective program management support for vaccine development programs.
- Clearly understands scientific mechanism of action, disease pathophysiology, unmet needs, standard of care and competitive landscape in relation to the program.
- Assimilates new and emerging disease area, program-specific and competitive data and applies this to ongoing and future development programs
- Understands the vaccine drug development process at Pfizer and internal governance procedures and expectations-Uses that knowledge to achieve program objectives.
- Analyzes and integrates data from across functional areas to provide strategic guidance to the team in developing and executing projects.
- BS degree in relevant biology, biochemistry, or related discipline
- 10+ years of experience with vaccine / drug development expertise
- Training and/or academic background in one of the disciplines related to drug (vaccine) R&D and/or knowledge/training in business management.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in project management discipline and its application to drug (vaccine) R&D.
- Skilled in leading through influence and collaboration
- Experienced in options, scenarios, and risk analysis.
- Successful experience in the development and rationalization of scientific and business strategies.
- Effective in communication and interactive skills both verbal and written with people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
- Advanced degree (MS, Ph.D., MD) in relevant biology, biochemistry, or related discipline
- 9+ years of biotechnology experience with vaccine/drug development expertise with MS degree; 7+ years of experience with PhD; 4+ years of experience with MD
- Sustained and successful experience with project management working with cross-disciplinary teams; works well across boundaries in a highly matrix-based organization.
Standard business office conditions; sitting, standing as appropriate NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Infrequent travel (generally other Pfizer sites or professional meetings) Other Job Details:
Eligible for Relocation Package
Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development