GSK is seeking a highly motivated and creative biophysicist within Medicine Design at the GSK US R&D hub in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. This aim of this role is to manage a group of experienced biophysical scientists while applying and evolving a suite of biophysical techniques in support of decisions throughout the small molecule drug discovery process.
Our department combines structural biology with biophysical data to understand and optimize interactions between drug targets and small molecule hits, leads, and candidates in support of drug discovery across all therapeutic areas under investigation at GSK. We interact broadly with project teams consisting of biologists, medicinal chemists, biochemists, and computational chemists to discover and optimize novel therapeutics. This position requires excellent communication, decision making, organizational, and people management skills. Interpersonal skills and the ability to influence multi-disciplinary drug discovery teams using robust science are critical to our success.
Working closely with structural biologists and protein expression/purification scientists, the biophysics group generates information-rich datasets to characterize biomolecular interactions providing discovery teams with detailed interaction analyses (ie. protein-compound, protein-antibody, and protein-nucleic acid). We routinely use surface plasmon resonance, microscale thermophoresis, hydrogen deuterium exchange mass spectrometry, NMR, and thermal shift methods. The biophysics group additionally provides mechanistic deconvolution of active compounds and antibodies to help predict efficacy and pharmacology, understand residence time, and select the best molecule for progression towards the clinic. To complement high resolution structural data generated within the department, we apply structural mass spectrometry to characterize target protein structure & dynamics and elucidate small molecule and antibody binding sites.
- Manage and support a team of experienced biophysicists to optimize the impact of the team's deliverables on the GSK's drug discovery portfolio.
- Design, test, and appropriately scale biophysical experiments in support of large interdisciplinary and translational project teams.
- Develop and deploy protein interaction experiments using a subset of available biophysical methods (surface plasmon resonance, microscale thermophoresis, differential scanning fluorimetry, hydrogen deuterium exchange MS, and/or NMR) to characterize and measure binding of small molecule hits and leads to purified drug targets.
- Carefully design and carry out experiments to deconvolute biophysical mechanisms. Compare findings across biophysical and structural datasets to generate actionable information for the advancement of drug discovery campaigns.
- Propose, plan and execute laboratory experiments and advanced data analysis in alignment with the goals of interdisciplinary project and technology teams.
Why You? Basic Qualifications:
- Evaluate, implement, and embed cutting-edge biophysical or structural technologies that provide novel information content or advanced capabilities to positively impact project success-rates or timelines.
- Characterize purified protein drug targets using methods such as hydrogen deuterium exchange mass spectrometry, dynamic light scattering, SEC-MALS, mass-photometry, UV absorbance, fluorimetry, circular dichroism, and NMR.
- Interact with business partners including therapeutic-area focused research units, structural biologists, medicinal chemists, and counterpart technology groups. Liaise and consult as a biophysics representative to program teams.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- A Ph.D. in Biophysics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Structural Biology, Chemical Biology or related field, plus 5+ years of industry experience or a MS with 8+ years relevant industry experience in a related discipline
- Demonstrated laboratory experience in quantitative biophysical techniques, and knowledge of structural biology, biochemistry, and protein characterization.
- Leadership experience either through direct reports or matrix project leadership.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Strong, independent research background in quantitative protein biophysics: ie. experience measuring binding affinity, kinetics, or thermodynamics of protein interactions, protein folding, or protein conformation changes. Modeling of biophysical mechanisms and data fitting.
- Experience with SPR, MST, HDX-MS, NMR, structural mass spectrometry or cryo-EM.
- Strong track record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, and enabling/driving change.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Agile and distributed decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk
- Managing individual and team performance.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Implementing change initiatives and leading change.
- Sustaining energy and well-being, building resilience in teams.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning both internally and externally.
- Developing people and building a talent pipeline.
- Translating strategy into action - a compelling narrative, motivating others, setting objectives and delegation.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, managing trusted stakeholder relationships internally and externally.
- Budgeting and forecasting, commercial and financial acumen.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record