The Department of Pediatrics Section of Tropical Medicine seeks a highly motivated and qualified Research Assistant II to work in the lab of Dr. Shannon Ronca. The purpose of the Research Assistant II position in the Department of Pediatrics-Tropical Medicine is to conduct responsible research work in virology, immunology, and epidemiology. The project will primarily focus on developing vaccines, treatments, and understanding mechanisms of viruses requiring Biosafety Level 3 handling, such as SARS-CoV-2, West Nile virus, and Chikungunya virus.Job Duties
- Performs laboratory work in molecular and cellular biology and immunology, including but not limited to cell culture maintenance, DNA preparation, PCR, flow cytometry, and ELISA.
- Performs laboratory work in virology, including infectious work with in vitro and in vivo models, and viral titration assays. The majority of this work will occur at a BSL-3.
- Selects and performs appropriate research procedures.
- Masters BSL-3 competencies and assist in running a BSL-3 training program.
- Ensures quality control of laboratory procedures, including test validations.
- Oversees the maintenance of lab equipment and environment.
- Data entry, cleaning, and analysis.
- Performs additional routine laboratory procedures to assist in the lab's research.
- Maintains an accurate, up-to-date, organized, and legible lab notebook that records all data according to methods requested.
- Conducts literature searches and summarizes information in an appropriate format.
- Analyzes results of experiments and reports to principal investigators.
- Assigns duties to less experienced staff and provide secondary supervision to staff
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Three years of relevant experience.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.