The Senior Principal Scientist is a scientific leadership role within the Molecular Pharmaceutics group, supporting preclinical drug product design through formulation design (with an emphasis on enabled formulations), biopharmaceutics profiling, and material science assessments of new small molecules within the Oncology therapeutic area. The candidate will collaborate with multi-disciplinary project teams to provide guidance and recommendations on biopharmaceutics and formulation aspects of pre-clinical and clinical development, including interpretation and implication of experimental and computational results; collaborate within and across lines to enable successful clinical outcomes in early clinical trials and the acceleration of pivotal clinical studies;use knowledge of solubility, dissolution, permeability and intestinal transport mechanisms to optimize early stage pre-clinical and clinical formulations; develop and use advanced modeling & simulation tools for predictive performance of oral absorption and utilization of enabling drug delivery technologies to achieve desirable delivery profiles; develop and advance concepts of translational biopharmaceutics with a focus to improve predictive capabilities by linking in vitro drug product performance attributes to in vivo performance attributes; maintain an awareness of and contribute to current scientific literature; conduct novel scientific research and present significant findings via internal and external presentations or publications. ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Molecular Pharmaceutics representative on Oncology project teams providing scientific leadership and strategic direction for the drug discovery of new Oncology small molecule drug candidates.
- Integrates biopharmaceutics, material science, and formulation discipline knowledge into the broader project team to help guide project decisions.
- Utilizes expertise in formulations and biopharmaceutics to mentor and coach less-experienced colleagues.
- Cultivates sustainable and effective relationships with internal partners and stakeholders, i.e., partner lines in PharmSci Small Molecule (PSSM), Clinical Pharmacology (ClinPharm), Drug Safety (DSRD), Oncology Research Unit (ORU) and Pharmacokinetics, Dynamics, and Metabolism (PDM)
- Advances scientific research and expands capability in the areas of enabled formulations, biopharmaceutics, drug delivery
- PhD in Pharmaceutics, Chemistry, Pharmacokinetics, Chemical Engineering or related discipline with 6-10 years relevant experience in oral absorption and small molecule drug product design, or BS/MS with a minimum of 12-15 years relevant pharmaceutics industry experience in small molecule drug product design.
- Recognized expert in designing and developing formulation and processes for enabled formulations with an emphasis on Amorphous Solid Dispersion.
- Experience in drug discovery / development up to Proof of Concept (POC) studies.
- Experience in using and interpreting biopharmaceutics modeling, physicochemical (solubility & dissolution) and biological (passive, transporter mediated, efflux) transport phenomena, interpretation and use of in vitro permeability measurements, or in vivo/in vitro drug metabolism studies, and interpretation of pre-clinical pharmacokinetic data for the design and selection of new small molecule drug candidates
- A strong interest and motivation to learn and implement new technologies and concepts.
- Extensive practical experience working within cross-disciplinary project teams and achieving results in a matrix environment.
- Excellent organizational and communication (oral and written) skills.
- Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively.
- Proven track record of mentoring and coaching junior scientists.
- Understanding of related drug discovery and development concepts - Oncology preferred.
- Experience in actively developing and advancing scientific initiatives and external collaborations.
- Collaborative and effective partnering skills applied in a complex, multi-disciplinary organizational model.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Includes activities in both laboratory and office settings; approximately 60%/40%.
- Candidate must be able to perform routine laboratory tests and procedures.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and ability to perform complex data analysis.
Other Job Details:
- 15% travel (domestic and international)
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
- Eligible for Relocation Assistance
For roles based in Colorado: The annual base salary for this position ranges from $109,500.00 to $182,400.00. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus with a target of 17.5% of the base salary and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program. Benefits offered include a retirement savings plan, paid vacation, holiday and personal days, paid caregiver/parental and medical leave, and health benefits to include medical, prescription drug, dental and vision coverage in accordance with the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development