Are you inspired by user-centered packaging and device solutions to meet the challenges of delivering life-changing medicines to patients? If so, this Packaging Development opportunity could be an exciting opportunity to consider.
GSK's Packaging and Device Design and Development team is charged with the delivery of robust, patient-centric devices and primary packaging solutions to enable the effective delivery of novel pharmaceuticals across all modalities and routes of administration. Our group is a multi-skilled team of Engineers and Scientists who work across all stages of the product and process development lifecycle, from the discovery interface through concept design and selection and, ultimately, the registrational submission and commercial supply.
The role is to be based at GSK's R&D site in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania (US) and can offer a flexible hybrid working environment to enable the ability to work in the lab, office and from home. Occasional business travel may also be required.
With a focus in steriles applications, GSK R&D is looking for an experienced primary packaging professional with expertise in the development of drug device combination products. The Director of Steriles Packaging will lead a new group within Packaging Development and Design supporting our portfolio of large and small molecule parenteral products. As a subject matter technical expert, your role is to work within a dedicated and specialist primary packaging function to provide best-in-class technical advice and solutions necessary to support drug product development teams in R&D and to our Global Supply Chain network. Your role is critical to ensuring the primary packaging technology solutions and their interfaces with drug products and device delivery systems work flawlessly through clinical and commercial supply. You will be working alongside a team of dedicated packaging and device development scientists and engineers focused on robust project delivery from early development through to product launch and will be responsible for development of staff.
Following successful candidacy, you will join a dynamic and growing team based in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania (US) and Ware, Hertfordshire (UK) who are key to delivering an expanding portfolio.
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following
- Lead the specialist primary packaging team with a focus on technical solutions for drug device combination products
- Develop team members, propose development opportunities, and provide input during appraisals
- Lead the development or identification of innovative primary packaging solutions and direct their qualification for use within the business
- Lead the onboarding of new packaging suppliers and their integration into projects and capability builds
- Lead technical engagements with key suppliers providing a link between supplier capability and project teams
- Develop best-in-class and deep level materials science expertise within the Packaging Development & Design team (e.g., Glass, Elastomers, Plastics)
- Ensure selected packaging systems for use with drug products and integration with device technologies are balanced with user and patient needs
- Develop strategies for onboarding new packaging technologies in preparation for the future state of drug delivery in GSK
- Lead internal project review and stakeholder engagement discussion building business alignment
- Represent GSK and area of subject matter expertise on Industry panels and academic collaborations
- Author/Review design control documentation
- Oversight of experimental plans, design verification and validation testing
- Input into the Container Closure Integrity Testing strategy for novel packaging and combination product systems
- Support the development of strategy and technological solutions across the Drug Product Development, Project Management , Commercial, Global Supply Chain (GSC), and external interfaces to ensure effective Packaging Development delivery:
- Provide competitive advantage through packaging solutions
- Support the development and implement the execution of GSC Procurement strategies and sourcing groups
- Support the development of regulatory, quality, and legislative strategies for packaging to ensure cost effective development
- Input into Group Quality Policies
- Author/Review group level Standard Operating Procedures and Work Instructions
- Influence environmental policy and strategy for packaging sustainability
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- M.S. or B.S. degree in Packaging Engineering, Packaging Science, Chemistry, Life Science, or related field with a minimum 5 years' experience in parenteral package development, primarily in pharmaceutical industry
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
Why GSK? Uniting science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together
- Understanding of design control requirements associated with Medical Devices and Combination Products (Drug / Device combinations)
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical packaging and technology, regulatory requirements, and the R&D, new technology introduction, and technology transfer processes.
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishment in delivering projects, working within a complex, multidisciplinary technical organization and matrix teams, working effectively across organizational, territorial, and cultural boundaries.
- Demonstrated ability to accomplish delivery of projects, meet project milestones, and manage multiple projects.
- Strong knowledge of packaging materials, components design and manufacturing technologies, vendors, equipment, legislation, regulations, and technologies and the ability to apply this knowledge to satisfy project goals within R&D and GSC.
- Demonstrated knowledge of domestic and international packaging requirements and regulations (i.e., current applicable FDA/MAA guidelines, USP/Ph Eur, etc).
- Knowledge of container closure integrity testing techniques appropriate to container closure system and intended application. Experience with technologies such as Helium Mass Spectrometry, Vacuum decay, high-voltage leakage detection, laser-based headspace analysis and dye immersion
- Knowledge of statistical analysis and Design of Experiments as they apply to packaging operations.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader in Consumer Healthcare, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the most significant changes we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and genetics science; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; and as a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culture that isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership of goals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at this exciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record