The position is for an experimental biology Investigator
role to join the Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) with the goal of discovering and developing medicines for diseases with a significant unmet medical need.About NHG RU:
The Novel Human Genetics Research Unit (NHG RU) was formed in 2019 to identify and advance novel targets with genetic association to disease. The remit of NHG RU is to identify novel targets based on human genetics, develop assets for clinical studies, and perform first time in human and proof of mechanism studies in the clinic. At the state-of-the-art facility, select, design, and perform in vitro cellular and biochemical experiments to interrogate the basic science and to progress drug discovery concepts.
The successful candidate will be an experimentalist
and have experience in the application of in vitro and in vivo tools and model systems to interrogate molecular mechanisms and pathways underpinning phenotypes and disease. The candidate will be able to design and implement experimental processes to address biological questions, have a tenacious problem-solving mindset, and embrace accountability, collegiality and integrity. A motivated and energetic innovator who can learn and work collaboratively in teams will succeed in this role.
This is an exciting scientific opportunity that will allow the successful candidate to have an impactful scientific career
and play a critical role in discovering medicines.Basic Qualifications:
- PhD in biology, pharmacology, molecular/cell biology, biochemistry, immunology or related scientific discipline. Postdoctoral experience (2-4 years) in the academic or industrial setting.
- Experienced in laboratory methods of cell biology and/or biochemical research. Capable of independent experimental protocol development and troubleshooting. The candidate should be familiar with routine methods in cell biology (cell culture, biochemical assays) and enzyme kinetics. In addition, experience in basic molecular biology methods, such as PCR, immunoblotting, and nucleic acid isolation is required.
- Track record of scientific independence and communication through first authored publications
- Innovative research in cellular and molecular biology
- The ability to review scientific data critically and communicate findings effectively.
- A research background in cardiovascular and/or metabolism is preferred.
- Experience in drug discovery and development.
- Organized and flexible in role assignments and must be able to work effectively in a complex multidisciplinary environment.
- Experienced in maintaining detailed records and good capacity to comprehend scientific literature.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong communication skills -- written and oral.
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.*LI-GSK#WYARD2022
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record