Are you energized by a scientific leadership role that allows you to innovate, enhance and improve processes across biopharmaceutical drug discovery? If so, this Scientific Leader role could be an ideal opportunity to explore.
As a Scientific Leader and member of the Protein Sciences, you will be accountable for evaluating and implementing new technologies in protein sciences to enable decreased cycle times for GSK's pre-clinical drug discovery programs. The individual will be expected to leverage both internal and external expertise to deliver next generation reagent platforms also while supporting GSK's early discovery portfolio. The individual will lead drug discovery programs, mentor junior scientists and publish findings in peer reviewed journals.
We are seeking a highly motivated scientist with an established track record in biochemistry and protein engineering to join our multidisciplinary research team in the department of Protein, Cellular, and Structural Sciences within the Medicinal Science & Technology division of R&D, at GSK's facility in Upper Providence, Pennsylvania. The department also provides the structural and mechanistic understanding of drug target, molecular recognition and mode of action to deliver the best molecule.Key Responsibilities
- Lead a team of 6-7 scientists with expertise in molecular biology and protein science.
- Design, generate and validate biological reagents for discovery activities across all of GSK's therapeutic modalities.
- In conjunction with internal and external partners (including biotech and academic labs), evaluate and implement new technologies in protein science.
- Embed high throughput protein expression platform
- Support drug discovery programs by applying specialist knowledge and expertise in molecular biology and protein science in the design and implementation of program team objectives and discovery tactics.
- Demonstrate strong and consistent leadership as well as excellent written and oral communication. Key objectives include helping set clear objectives for your group and mentoring and developing staff.
- Ensure compliance with all GSK R&D data integrity practices, ethics codes, work practice training and standards.
- Contribute to the professional development of others, assist in setting and communicating departmental objectives, while embracing and promoting GSK values.
- Ph.D. in a life sciences or engineering discipline with 5+ years relevant experience, or M.S. with 10+ years relevant experience.
- Strong track-record in either one or more of the following disciplines: Biochemistry, Protein Engineering, Molecular Biology, Cell Biology, Chemical Biology, or Molecular Pharmacology
- Experienced user of high throughput protein expression platform(s) used to enable global structural genomics initiatives, with familiarity with one or more of the following:
- X-ray crystallography
- Protein NMR
- Demonstrated knowledge of protein engineering and chemical biology to evaluate tractability for target identification and validation at an industrial scale.
- Practical knowledge of mass spectrometry for protein identification, protein characterization and protein-ligand interactions.
- Practical knowledge of biophysical methods for QC of the protein reagents.
- Experience in multiple expression systems.
- Ability to formulate and communicate a coherent vision and research plan.
- Strong track record of publications in peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated strengths in high performance behaviors, such as building relationships, flexible thinking, courage, and enabling/driving change.
- Demonstrated leader of high performing teams
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communication and presentation skills
Uniting science, talent, and technology to get ahead of disease together
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years. We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022: New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat is ambitious for patients - so we deliver what matters better and faster; accountable for impact - with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; and where we do the right thing . So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record