We are seeking a computational biologist to join a team of ~50 scientists within the Primary Pharmacology Group (PPG) at our Groton, CT campus supporting hit identification and lead optimization for the small molecule portfolio in Worldwide Research & Development, through delivery of in vitro plate based pharmacology.
Working collaboratively across the Medicine Design organization and with Research Unit project teams, the successful candidate will autonomously provide computational analysis and statistical models to enable data mining for small molecule annotations, drug repurposing, cellular model characterization and mechanism of action elucidation for phenotypic and target-based screening using cell painting and transcriptomics- databases.
The role will require scientific domain knowledge in bioinformatics, computational biology and data science. Critical to the role is the ability to rapidly develop, evaluate and implement new computational techniques/methods using machine learning and deep learning approaches including analysis of multiparametric data as well as the integration and interpretation of complex datasets.
The successful candidate will be excited by working in teams with talented scientists from other disciplines (e.g. Chemistry, Biology, Statistics). They should therefore possess strong collaborative and written/verbal communication skills and be adept at building partnerships. Key to the role is an ability to work independently and propose creative approaches for complex technical and biological questions. As such, in addition to technical skills, the candidate should demonstrate an eager personal drive, high resiliency and strong leadership skills.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Deliver computational biology support for the Primary Pharmacology Group portfolio, including projects supporting Cardiovascular & Metabolic disease, Inflammation and Immunology, Rare Diseases and Oncology
- Develop machine learning tools for chemical and genomic libraries screening campaigns
- Deliver transcriptomics and cell painting data analysis methods to generate small molecule mechanism of action hypotheses for phenotypic screening campaign
- Analyze phenotypic screening results together with data mining of compound annotations to make recommendation for the design of follow-up experiments
- Collaborate with High Content Imaging Scientists to analyze multiparametric datasets to generate cell profiling and phenotypic fingerprints of small molecules for hit prioritization and hypothesis generation
- Analysis and integration of high-dimensional multi-omics datasets (proteomics, genomics, transcriptomics ...) to derive testable hypothesis to assist phenotypic signature deconvolution, mechanism of action elucidation, lead compound selection and characterization and cellular model system characterization
- Work closely with primary pharmacology, hit discovery, computational science and chemical biology groups to develop tools supporting research strategy (eg novel target types or modalities, DNA-Encoded Library screening, Cell Painting)
- Represent Primary Pharmacology Group and Discovery Sciences as a subject matter expert to cross-functional teams within Pfizer WRD and at external conferences.
- Opportunities to publish and to recruit summer interns or postdocs when necessary.
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computer science or a related discipline with 0-3 years of industry experience.
- Significant experience developing computational pipeline, machine learning and visualization tools
- Fluency in one or more programming languages in the Unix environment, Python, SQL and R
- Experience with NGS, transcriptomics data and Image based feature extraction would be advantageous
- Experience with handling complex data types (proteomics, genomics, metabolomics, imaging, etc.)
- Excellent track record of external publications and professional service
- Outstanding outreach, teamwork and communication abilities are essential
- Exposure to biological systems and pharmacological concepts in drug discovery
- Deep Learning method development
Sitting, standing, lifting, bending, and walking. Ability to work on a computer (while standing or sitting). Ability to perform mathematical calculations and interpret data.NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Candidate will be asked to travel to the Pfizer Cambridge, MA site to meet computational science and project team colleagues on a regular basis.Additional Job Information:
- Eligible for Relocation Support
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
#LI-PFEPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development