What You Will Achieve
The position of Principal Scientist - Fermentation Process Development, will work as part of an interdisciplinary team as well as providing scientific leadership to improve Pfizer's production processes through biotransformation, biocatalysis and microbial culture improvement projects. Principal duties include fermentation and chemical engineering process technology in support of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API) manufacturing. The incumbent will serve as a primary technical expert for fermentation processing, will perform and direct laboratory/mini-jar studies, and will support the scale-up and transfer of new processes into the facility or to a Third Party Manufacturer. You will undertake mentoring activities to guide team members. It is your innovative scientific temperament that will help in making Pfizer ready to achieve new milestones and help patients across the globe.How You Will Achieve It
- Work effectively in a fast-paced, customer-oriented, laboratory environment to develop and deliver process technology in support of commercial fermentation and downstream operations.
- Develop, implement, improve and/or support robust commercial fermentation processes to make API and intermediates.
- Apply Machine learning and AI to plant production data to further increase process productivity and process robustness.
- Support pilot plant campaigns for scale up of processes in conjunction with site personnel and production support.
- Assist Third Party Manufacturing sites in process transfers, process development and troubleshooting as required.
- Work under general supervision, recommend actions, participate in setting project objectives, and independently develop experimental programs.
- Ability to design experiments as well as to analyze, interpret, follow-up and communicate experimental data.
- Strong initiative and good problem solving skills. Takes personal responsibility for own work, pushing self and others to exceed goals and deliver results.
- Ability to interact well with both Chemists and Molecular Biologists to assist in the development of new synthetic routes.
- Must have demonstrated communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must be able to establish positive colleague relationships which foster collaboration and cooperation. BDG is a team-based organization. Good peer relationships are the only way to get projects done and to succeed.
- Maintain laboratory area and equipment in clean, safe, functional order.
- Remain current with and champion the implementation of new technologies within the group to ensure we deliver or exceed project targets.
- Change agile- can effectively cope with change.
- Applicant must have HS Diploma with ten years of relevant experience;
- OR an Associate's degree with eight years of experience;
- OR a Bachelor's degree with at least five years of experience;
- OR a Master's degree with more than three years of experience;
- OR a Ph.D. with 0-2 years of experience.
- Direct experience with bioprocess development, scale-up, and troubleshooting in a commercial plant environment.
- Preference is given to applicants with a strong background of traditional bioprocessing (fermentation, bioconversion, downstream purification, etc.) and statistical analysis.
The position involves working in a laboratory/production environment, which may include standing for long periods of time and working with potential biohazards.
The position requires the ability to gather, analyze, interpret, relate, and compare information from multiple sources and identify complex cause and effect relationships. Non-Standard Work Schedule, Travel, or Environment Requirements
The position may require colleagues to work off-hours, weekends and/or holidays to meet business or customer needs.
The position may involve some travel to support other sites.Other Job Details
- Eligible for Relocation Package: YES
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.Pfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development