Are you looking for a challenging opportunity that allows you to leverage your technical expertise in histopathology to advance biomarker and companion diagnostic development? If so, this Investigator, Histotechnologist
role could be an exciting opportunity to explore!
This role will allow for temporary remote-office work, but will be on-site, laboratory-based once GSK's Upper Merion facility construction is complete in late 2023. This scientist will provide histological and immunohistochemical services to GSK's Research Units (RU) to help drive its translational R&D objectives. The ideal candidate will be proficient in all aspects of human sample processing including collection, grossing, trimming, embedding (e.g., routine biopsy, resected tissue, and other specialty embedding), sectioning (frozen and paraffin), histochemical and immunohistochemical staining, and digital image capture and analysis.Key responsibilities include the following:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Prepare microscopic slides for histochemical and immunohistochemical staining, scan slides for digital image capture and QC.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and records.
- Provide instruction, training and consultation to GSK scientists and collaborators, as needed.
- Develop, optimize, and validate methods for the measurement and characterization of biomarkers in tissue sections using routine and advanced immunohistochemical methods.
- Perform data management tasks, including compilation, analysis, interpretation and archiving using LIMS, image management software and electronic lab notebook.
- Write standard operating procedures, analytical methods and study protocols.
- Cross-train on various biorepository activities such as sample accessioning, archiving, and retrieving.
- Hold themselves accountable for delivering high quality results in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Constantly look for new ways to enhance the value of the science provided by the team.
- Be well connected in the histology community (internally and externally to GSK) demonstrated through publications and presentations at conferences hosted by professional societies such as the National Society for Histotechnology.
- Work with laboratory director to prioritize projects and work to meet diverse GSK project needs
- This position will have supervision over 1 FTE.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
Preferred Qualifications :
- MS degree in biological sciences or a relevant scientific field (e.g., immunology, molecular biology, cancer biology, or pathobiology) with a minimum of 2 years of direct experience in a histopathology lab
- BS/BA with a minimum of 5 years of direct experience in a histopathology lab.
- Certified Histotechnician ASCP-HT.
- 2+ years' experience developing novel single and multiplex panels using automated commercial platforms such as Ventana Discovery Ultra and Leica Bond RX.
- 2+ years' experience in working with diverse specimen types (clinical, animal research, cell pellets etc.)
- Strong working knowledge of LIMS, databases, and related technology platforms used in histology laboratory environments
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Experienced Scientist/Histotechnologist in biotech/pharmaceutical setting with ASCP-HTL certification.
- Experience in a CAP\CLIA clinical laboratory setting.
- Demonstrated experience working and leading in a matrix environment to jointly deliver results in partnership with key stakeholder.
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment.
We're combining the power of genetic and genomic insights into what causes disease, with the speed and scale of artificial intelligence and machine learning (AI/ML) to make better predictions about who a treatment might work for, and why. We believe this powerful combination of data and technology holds the key to fundamentally transforming medical discovery for the better, improving R&D success rates and shaping how even the most challenging diseases, like neurological conditions and cancer, can be both prevented and treated.
In 2021 we delivered four major product approvals: Cabenuva for HIV, Jemperli for endometrial cancer, Xevudy for COVID-19 and Apretude , our new long-acting medicine for HIV prevention.
Find out more: Our approach to R&D
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record