Computational ScientistJOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIESData Coordination, Maintenance, Algorithm Development and Analysis
- Maintains and develops bulk and single-cell DNA, RNA data processing pipelines.
- Maintains and further develops the lab's software packages, in collaboration with students and postdocs in the lab.
- Performs single cell and bulk sequencing data analysis, including data QC and initial processing, for data generated by in-house and by large-scale consortia.
- Manages data stored on the lab's partition on the institute's high-performance computing infrastructure.
- Perform data analysis tasks on a variety of projects that include analysis, integration and interpretation of NanoString, RNA-seq, spatial transcriptomics and other experimental data in the setting of immunotherapy, combinatorial and/or standard-of-care treatment.
- Develop algorithms and novel strategies to analyze and visualize large scale multi-omics data from internal and publicly available datasets to enable biomarker identification.
- Explore and implement cutting-edge approaches to analysis of datasets. Independently search literature to explore new bioinformatics tools and research.
- Collaborate with peer scientists from cross-functional teams to analyze and interpret complex large datasets and communicate findings.
- Work closely with clinical researchers and others to provide custom solutions for sequencing, gene expression, proteomics and other data to expedite scientific projects
- Contribute to a highly collaborative work environment toward the research goals of the Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, participating in brainstorming, planning, and data sharing sessions for project development.
- Formulate feasibility analyses of new projects.
- Searches literature and investigate emerging data analysis tools and technologies
- Assist in composing bioinformatics analysis and methods sections for manuscripts and grant applications.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Applied Mathematics or related field. Education preferred: Master's degree or PhD with a concentration in Science, Engineering or related field. Five years experience in scientific software development/analysis. With Master's degree, three years experience required. With PhD, one year of experience required. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html