Participates in all aspects of the health and welfare of laboratory animals, including daily monitoring and treatment, maintaining accurate health records, and providing requested technical services which includes inducing and monitoring anesthesia for multiple species.Job Duties
- Provide veterinary care to all animals at BCM.
- Perform daily observational rounds, health checks, and treatments on animal patients, under the guidance of veterinarians.
- Maintain observations in both written and electronic animal records.
- Maintain daily treatment records as well as: anesthetic records, post-operative records, drug logs, and inventory records.
- Independently perform routine surgical procedures in rodents, with oversight from a veterinarian.
- Provide research support to investigators, which can include injections, blood collections, anesthesia support, post-operative care, and treatment as directed by veterinarian.
- Provide training and mentorship to entry level veterinary technicians. Participates in the management and maintenance of CCM veterinary drugs and supplies.
- Associate's degree in a related field. Two years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Certified Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS). Certification must be obtained within six months of hire or promotion.
- Licensed Veterinary Technician (LVT).
- Knowledge of and technical ability in veterinary medical procedures, excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, competency in oral and written communication, and have the ability to work and make decisions independently.
Weekend, holiday, and after hours on call work is required on a rotational basis with other veterinary technicians.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.