Chair of Sustainable Transport Engineering
- School of Science, Technology and Engineering | Moreton Bay Campus
- Level D.1 $151, 576 to Level E.1 $195,076 p.a., plus 17% employer superannuation
- Full-time, ongoing
About the opportunity
The Department of Transport and Main Roads (DTMR) and University of the Sunshine Coast (UniSC) have collaborated on an initiative that will see you champion strategic transport research and development at UniSC, whilst building mutual transport capability between UniSC and DTMR to address future transport opportunities in Queensland.
You will explore how transport infrastructure can become more sustainable by:
- enabling shift towards low and zero emission transport modes;
- developing low carbon infrastructure solutions that are more resilient;
- using advanced technologies and data to optimise infrastructure delivery and management; and
- enhancing the safety, accessibility, and journey experience for users.
You will boost local capability and capacity in industry at the graduate degree level but also at the technician level to find the solutions to build and manage our transport system of tomorrow. You will explore how transport technology is connected and integrated and how it enables advanced analytics, smarter control and highly valued client facing services by changing how we operate our transport network to be more customer-centric.
- foster a mutually beneficial relationship with TMR;
- champion UniSC’s transport-related research and development activities;
- engage effectively with local, national and international industry; and
- be a strong advocate for future transport/sustainable transport and be clearly visible at the forefront of public discussion.
As one of Australia’s fastest growing universities, UniSC is ripe with opportunities for passionate, skilled and determined leaders who want to make an impact in higher education.
We are one of the most respected universities in Australia for our teaching quality, as acknowledged by our five-star rating in the Good Universities Guide - a title we have held for 16 consecutive years.
On the world stage, we are a recognised global leader when it comes to sustainability principles. In the 2021 Times Higher Education’s Impact Rankings, UniSC was ranked as third in the world for our research, outreach and stewardship when it comes to conserving and protecting life underwater. For life on the land, we were ranked fifth– both titles a welcome recognition of our work in these specialty areas of research and stewardship.
The standings come alongside the Australian Research Council’s recognition of UniSC as a producer of world-class research in 26 areas, including environmental impact, mental and medical health, technology, and human behaviour.
UniSC’s impact in national and international research continues to be fast-growing and, since 2013, we have more than tripled our annual research income to $26 million.
While these results are impressive, they are just the start of our story. We are young, agile and determined to become Australia’s premier regional university.
We warmly encourage you to join us on this journey.
Your extensive achievement in University-level teaching and learning will see you succeed in this balanced teaching and research role. Your ability and dedication to foster excellence in teaching and research is a key attribute. You have an outstanding record in research of international standing and create highly effective research teams. You bring a collegial, collaborative, and supportive work ethic that empowers you to develop positive and effective working relationships with stakeholders including partners, industry, colleagues and students.
You will possess:
With appointment at either Associate Professor/Professor level, the successful appointee will have:
- completion of a doctoral qualification in a relevant field and comprehensive experience as an academic;
- a clear and coherent research program with a strong track record of sustained and productive engagement in high quality research;
- effectiveness in teaching and educational innovation;
- effective mentoring to develop the research capability of mid and early career researchers; and
- success in academic administrative functions.
At UniSC, we have a genuine commitment to diversity and inclusion and strongly encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all cultures, genders, abilities, and experiences. Should you require additional support, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +61 7 5430 2830.
For a confidential discussion about this opportunity, please contact:
Professor Stuart Parsons
Dean, School of Science, Technology and Engineering
Telephone +61 7 5430 1217 or email: email@example.com
Please apply by Midnight, Monday 10 October 2022
To view the Candidate Prospectus or apply, please visit https://www.usc.edu.au/community/work-at-usc. Job Opening ID 22105
A completed application includes:
- your current Academic CV.
- a statement of suitability not to exceed three pages. This statement should outline your skills, knowledge and qualities that will make you a success at UniSC.
Benefits of working at UniSC
UniSC is a community which recognises and embraces diversity among our staff, students and community partnerships. We provide an inclusive environment where each person feels they belong and are respected, connected and empowered to rise, and shine.
UniSC is a proud recipient of the prestigious Athena SWAN Bronze Award, granted as part of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) initiative which aims to address and improve gender equity in the science, technology, engineering, mathematics and medicine (STEMM) disciplines. Attaining an award is recognition of our ongoing commitment to improving gender equity and ensuring that women from diverse backgrounds, as well as underrepresented groups, are best positioned to reach their full potential.
UniSC offers career enhancement opportunities such as professional development and specialised leadership and management programs. We are an inclusive employer offering flexible work options, extensive and generous leave options and a 36.25 hour working week for our professional staff. For more information, visit our website/ https://www.usc.edu.au/about/work-at-unisc/benefits-of-working-at-unisc