A Postdoctoral Fellow in Vaccine Formulation Development is being sought by Pfizer's Biotherapeutics Pharmaceutical Sciences (BTxPharmSci) Division's Pharmaceutical Research & Development (PhRD) division. The successful mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccines were created by the PhRD laboratory, a top mRNA vaccine formulation lab, at BTxPharmSci in Andover, Massachusetts, in the United States. The mRNA technologies developed at Pfizer may lead to additional uses for mRNA beyond COVID-19, such as the development of vaccinations that target various infectious diseases as well as novel drug products. With a diverse and expanding portfolio that fosters scientific discovery, we invest in the highest level of scientific and technical skills to develop and introduce a pipeline of novel drug products that meet the needs of patients around the world. As a part of this world-class research environment, we have access to cutting-edge vaccine formulation technology and have extensive expertise in both nanoparticle analysis and vaccine formulations.
The candidate will advance the development of drug product formulations and the study of physicochemical characterization techniques for novel vaccine design. The candidate should be familiar with the formulation and characterization of nanoparticles and mRNA vaccines as supported by Pfizer's biotherapeutics portfolio of drug product formulations in a dynamic, highly interdisciplinary environment.
We need an independent scientist who is inquisitive, self-driven, and a critical thinker to expand our team. The incumbent of the position is expected to carry out research to support the development, evaluation, and characterization of formulations/processes, components, and supporting delivery technologies for a variety of therapeutic modalities, including (but not limited to) vaccines, RNA-based medications, and targeted delivery approaches. This person collaborates with the other team members to reach the project's goals. The current candidate has a strong drive to learn new skills, a dedication to science, technical understanding of many aspects of drug product discovery and development, and significant technical and scientific contributions to the PhRD team and the related project teams. The postdoctoral fellow is expected to carry out scientific research, guide team members, and give oral presentations at conferences and seminars. The postdoc holder must demonstrate success in sharing scientific knowledge by writing peer-reviewed journal articles, mentoring team members, and giving oral presentations at seminars and conferences. The ideal candidate would be very interested in developing vaccine formulations.ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, carry out, and assess experiments for both established and new modalities.
- Establish the proper formulation, process design, scale-up techniques, essential parameters, and design space for parenteral dosage forms.
- Encourage the development of novel formulation characterization techniques to aid in formulation design and process development.
- Oversee experiments to verify reliable process performance across the entire control area.
- Compile the results of experiments and analyses, interpret the data, and then summarize and communicate the findings along with suggested next steps.
- Assist cross-functional formulation, process, and analytical research for commercial production processes with technical representation and subject matter expertise (SME).
- Gather and disseminate pertinent academic literature; make use of outside consultants and SMEs; and start new partnerships with internal teams.
- Improve existing procedures to ensure reliable production of Pfizer's biotherapeutic portfolio.
- Work closely with process and analytical development teams in a matrixed environment to support process investigation, evaluate new analytical technologies, and support ongoing process characterization and post-approval adjustments.
- Retain responsibility for the project's success and the output of results.
- Disseminate internal and external research and development findings.
- A Ph.D. with 0-3 years experience in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Pharmaceutical Sciences
- It is necessary to have a broad understanding of analytical tools and techniques used in materials science, colloidal structure and stability, formulation design using nanotechnologies, nucleic acid drug delivery, and general pharmaceutical R&D.
- Data analysis and visualization expertise
- Knowledge of traditional statistics
- Outstanding organizational, analytical, and time management abilities
- Effective oral and written presentation and communication abilities
- It's critical to have teamwork skills
Experience with mRNA-lipid nanoparticle (LNP) vaccine formulation, lipid-based mRNA vaccine delivery systems, nanoparticle characterization, optimization of mRNA stability and knowledge of computational and experimental platforms.OTHER JOB DETAILS
Eligible for Relocation Assistance
Must Have Work Authorization in US
#postdocjobs.comPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development