Why Patients Need You
Pfizer's purpose is to deliver breakthroughs that change patients' lives. Research and Development is at the heart of fulfilling Pfizer's purpose as we work to translate advanced science and technologies into the therapies and vaccines that matter most. Whether you are in the discovery sciences, ensuring drug safety and efficacy or supporting clinical trials, you will apply cutting edge design and process development capabilities to accelerate and bring the best in class medicines to patients around the world.What You Will Achieve
Pfizer Cancer Immunology Discovery (CID) is within the Oncology division of Pfizer Worldwide Research & Development in La Jolla, CA. CID is dedicated to developing new protein therapeutics to improve human life by redirecting the immune system against cancer. CID researchers apply the latest scientific knowledge and novel approaches to discover truly innovative Immuno-Oncology therapeutics. We are seeking to hire a scientist for the CID Immunosuppression group. This role is predominantly laboratory-based (~80% of time) with a major emphasis placed upon implementing state-of-the-art immunologic techniques and routinely conducting high-quality assay work in an organized and safe manner. Primary responsibilities will include designing and implementing assay readout work plans, performing and overseeing cell-based immune readouts, profiling cell populations using flow cytometry, performing immunohistochemical and spatial profiling analyses, and conducting RNA/DNA profiling on tumor samples and other tissues.How You Will Achieve It
- Evaluation of novel mechanisms of tumor resistance to innate and adaptive immunity
- Execution of cell-based functional and biochemical assays to select candidate molecules for clinical development
- Planning and execution of in vivo murine studies and ex vivo functional assessments, such as, complex human tumor/stroma/immune cell 3D assays , multi-color flow cytometry, I mmunohistochemistry/immunofluorescence, and primary cell culture
- Communication of experimental results to team
- B.S. degree with 6+ years' experience or MS (preferred) with 5+ years of experience
- Experience in the fields of immunology, cell biology and/or genetics
- Ability to plan and execute in vitro experiments with minimal supervision
- Expertise in standard immunologic techniques
- Technical expertise with immune cell-based functional assays (e.g. activation, differentiation, proliferation, and suppression assays by using monocyte/ macrophages, T-cells, or dendritic cells, 3D spheroids, tumor explants and organoid assays that mimic human tumor microenvironment)
- Experience with human PBMC and mammalian cell culture
- Experience with qRT-PCR, ELISA, MSD, ELISPOT, Nano string and cytotoxic assays
- Excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to work in a fast-paced environment independently or as part of a team, good verbal and written communication, and strong motivation with a dedicated work ethic
- Immune phenotyping tumor associated immune cells from primary human tumor samples by flow cytometry
- Experience in CRISPR technology, lentiviral transduction, tumor explant and 3D spheroid assays
- Experience working with biologics and small molecule inhibitors for tumor immunotherapy
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Standing, sitting, bending, lifting, walking in a laboratory or vivarium setting.
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) in a BSL-2 laboratory; additional PPE requirements when working in vivarium barrier suites.
- Standard business office conditions; sitting, standing as appropriate
- Infrequent travel (generally other Pfizer sites or professional meetings)
- Lifting, sitting, standing, walking, bending, repetitive pipetting, ability to perform mathematical calculations, ability to read, understand, and perform written protocols, and ability to perform moderately complex data analysis using Microsoft Excel, GraphPad Prism or other similar data analysis software.
- Occasional off-hour and weekend schedule.
Relocation assistance may be available based on business needs and/or eligibility.
\nPfizer requires all U.S. new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Pfizer will consider requests for Reasonable Accommodations.Sunshine Act
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative. EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.
Research and Development