Planning and Execution of Experiments
- The individual will understand the goals of the research projects and receive detailed verbal and/or written instructions on how to conduct an experiment to achieve these goals. Candidate must be able to perform experiments as directed. He/she should verbally ask questions of supervisor and/or other laboratory personnel to clarify and obtain further information needed to understand the goals of the research and to prepare for and properly execute experiments.
- The position will require detailed, legible handwritten records of all experiments performed.
- Clear and concise verbal communication is important. The employee must possess excellent reading (English) and writing skills; some editing experience in scientific writing is desirable.
- Must have computer skills to allow the entry of data obtained from experiments into graphic and statistics programs and to generate tables and figures for the communication of data.
- Must be capable of conducting literature searches to assist in the planning and design of experiments.
- Must have a well-developed esprit de corps and willingness to cooperate with all principals. Must have the ability to resolve, in consultation with PIs, various technical problems as they emerge that are related to experimental design and technique.
Job Specific Competencies :
- Must be able to assist principal investigator with scientific research projects, generate and analyze data for presentations and publications
- Must be able to apply the standard techniques of molecular biology, biochemistry, and cell biology.
- Must have experience in working with experimental animals. Can plan and perform various experiments with rodents to assess tumor development and evaluation. Can perform injections, surgeries and other manipulations in mice and collect and processes tissues from mice for further analysis.
- Must be able to learn new techniques as required by the scope of the research.
- Can help lab members with experiments as required for completing manuscripts and grants on a timely basis.
- Manage frozen cell line inventories, perform cell culture work to prepare cell lines stocks for the lab as required. Occasionally perform cell biology experiments, sample preparations, and immunostaining of tissue slides
- Organize lab other inventories, including FFPE blocks, antibodies, plasmids, and chemicals, et al. The individual will be required to place, track and follow up orders to re-stock reagents and chemicals with institutional buyer in the Research Laboratory
- Submit samples to core facilities, including but not limited to immunohistochemistry, RPPA, RNA/DNA sequencing core facilities.
- Must have a sound working knowledge and trouble shooting skills in at least some of the following techniques: Cell proliferations assay, Cell viability tests, Cell cycle assay, Apoptosis assay
- RNA isolation, cDNA synthesis, RT-PCR, q-PCR, Molecular cloning, ligation, Transformation,
- Transfection, Protein preparation, Western blotting, Implemented procedures necessary for routine H&E slides, special stains, immunohistochemistry and other technical procedures are required.
Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences. One year experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree. It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html