The Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology (MCO) mission is to enable and apply basic research excellence to contribute to ending cancer significantly. The department's oncology-driven research focuses on fundamental mechanistic discoveries and their translation to humans. As a basic science department at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, MCO strives to enhance basic research excellence by establishing a robust research group focused on the molecular and cellular aspects of cancer research, particularly in signaling pathways and crosstalk between tumor and tumor microenvironment in tumor initiation, progression and metastasis, and resistance to various therapies. MCO hosts MD Anderson's Functional Genomics Core with the support of the Cancer Center Supporting Grant (CCSG). In addition, MCO faculty are core members of the Cancer Biology and Metastasis Program of CCSG, rated "exceptional" in the last competing renewal. Molecular & Cellular Oncology KEY FUNCTIONSConducts Research Experiments and Projects
Data Gathering and Analysis
- Conduct cancer biology experiments independently; may include but not limited to mouse tissue collection, isolating DNA/RNA, PCR/QPCR, and tissue culture.
- Learns equipment and relevant software needed for experiments.
- Discuss all stages of projects with senior members and supervisor at lab meetings.
Assists with scientific writing and reports
- Use online programs and computer softwares efficiently for data acquisition, analysis, reporting and presentation.
- Records and evaluates data in accordance with methods requested.
- Maintain inventories, keeping precise, timely and accurate records.
- Assist with scientific writing, including manuscript, progress report, data presentation under supervision; may include use of image editing tools, including Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, CorelDRAW, PowerPoint.
Required: Bachelor's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.
Preferred: Master's degree with major course works in one of the basic sciences.Experience
Required: One year experience in scientific or experimental research work. No experience required with preferred degree.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html