Are you energized by a challenging role in biology, where scientific demand is driving team growth? If so, this Expert Scientist role would be a great opportunity to consider.
The Nucleic Acids Vaccines Center of Excellence global team within Technical Research & Development, GSK Vaccines is seeking an enthusiastic, experienced, and motivated Scientist with a strong understanding and experience in nucleic acid research. Located in Rockville, Maryland, the position will contribute to the success of the GSK messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine platform.
Working in a highly collaborative environment, the successful candidate will:
Why you? Basic Qualifications:
- Be a key member of a global team of talented professionals to characterize mRNA vaccine candidates, and support platform technology development in a highly competitive landscape.
- Apply deep knowledge in nucleic acid research to design analytical methods and execute analytical activities to drive development & optimization of a clinical & commercial manufacturing processes for the mRNA and DNA.
- Staying up to date with best practices and advancements in the mRNA technology and develop novel analytical methodologies to meet RNA vaccine platform development needs.
- Independently carry out and document experiments, interpret data, and maintain good scientific process.
- Prepare oral and written reports to communicate scientific findings and to support project documentation and CMC submissions.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, or a related scientific field.
- BS with 6+ years of experience or MS with 3+ years of experience or PhD.
- Have strong track record in nucleic acid research (publications and/or regulatory/patent filings).
- Have hands-on experience with nucleic acid analytical characterization methods including fluorescent-based assays, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, hybridization technique, electrophoresis-based techniques, HPLC/UPLC etc.
- Proficiency in English is a must.
Have a thorough understanding in nucleic acid sequencing and next-generation sequencing.
Work independently or with minimal supervision.
- Be able to rapidly acquire project understanding and apply professional knowledge to project improvement.
- Willingness to learn new concepts and challenge boundaries; adaptability to change.
- Must be detail oriented; possess problem solving skills, and the ability to handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess good communication skills.
Strong interpersonal skills with an eagerness to work with and support colleagues in a cross-functional collaborative environment.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Solid understanding of drug development process and general overview of mRNA technology.
- Hands-on experience with nucleic acid sequencing.
- Hands on experience in cell culture.
- Working experience with gene therapies or specifically mRNA-based vaccines or therapeutics.
- Ability to efficiently manage uncertainty, changes in priority and timeline restrictions.
- Broad understanding of analytical development activities required for CMC support.
- Understanding of FDA/EMA guidelines on assay development, qualification, and validation.
- Knowledge and understanding of Quality by Design, as applied to biologics from an early stage, would be an advantage.
Our values and expectationsare at the heart of everything we do and form an important part of our culture.
These include Patient focus, Transparency, Respect, Integrity along with Courage, Accountability, Development, and Teamwork. As GSK focuses on our values and expectations and a culture of innovation, performance, and trust, the successful candidate will demonstrate the following capabilities:
- Operating at pace and agile decision-making - using evidence and applying judgement to balance pace, rigour and risk.
- Committed to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, focusing on what matters, execution.
- Continuously looking for opportunities to learn, build skills and share learning.
- Sustaining energy and well-being.
- Building strong relationships and collaboration, honest and open conversations.
- Budgeting and cost-consciousness.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record