This position will consider candidates from the UK and US that meet the minimum qualifications.
As a Senior Director Complex In Vitro Models
you will be responsible to d eliver an integrated enterprise strategy for sustained, portfolio driven growth in R&D by application of complex human-relevant and translatable complex in vitro models including Microphysiological Systems (MPS) and Organoids.
This role will lead the implementation and evolution of biologically relevant in vitro technologies and deliver a strong impact at GSK through increased adoption, impact (attrition reduction), and modernization. Key influencer in the external environment through connections with external experts/opinion leaders. Drives coordination and prioritization of activities. Key Responsibilities
This role will provide YOU the opportunity to lead key activities to progress YOUR career, these responsibilities include some of the following.
- Lead, manage and mentor an agile team of scientists to drives efficient & well prioritized discovery, characterization, development and clinical success of safe and effective medicines through application of appropriate complex biologic models, with a focus on complex in vitro models
- Develop team members for greater enterprise and translational thinking, to emphasize focus on defining the biological question(s)
- Advocate a culture of scientific challenge and peer review of existing models and of new technological opportunities. Proactively collaborate with preclinical and clinical scientists across the organization to increase the translational value of GSK pre-clinical decision-making and, ultimately leading to attrition reduction.
- Ensures organizational and platform integration to enable a continuous evolution of capability, aligned with the needs of the portfolio
- Create an environment that supports open communication, inspires creative innovation and encourages the team to exceed their own expectations
-Provide a centralized core of support for the development, application and continued innovation of complex in vitro models
- Leads the CIVM technology strategy across R&D by identifying and leveraging external innovators, undertaking business due diligence, and leading the development of external alliances along with technology evaluation and transfer into GSK to meet the needs of the R&D portfolio.
- Understands the R&D portfolio needs, develops relationships with stakeholders that support the uptake and operation of CIVMs by Research Units and other functional lines.
- Develops multi-year strategic business plans for CIVM technology assessment and acquisition
- Facilitates scientific exchange across lines among the CIVM community of users
Raise awareness and provide expert advice and recommendations on complex in vitro platforms based on scientific merit, practicality and potential impact on drug development at GSK
- Lead complex in vitro model team to drive scientific and technological exchange between internal and external partners to ensure smooth transfer of capabilities, when capabilities have reached an appropriate state of maturity relative to performance criteria and desired characteristics
-Ensure the team's engagement and collaboration with existing capabilities throughout GSK dedicated to bringing awareness of novel complex in vitro cell culture technologies to GSK stakeholders.
- Leverage resource from within the GSK scientific community through networking and maximize the use of the complex in vitro cell culture database to focus efforts on where more complex in vitro models are required
- Coordinate the complex in vitro model matrix to leverage existing internal expert knowledge and skills, and raise awareness of novel complex in vitro model platforms, as well as influence Research Unit's commitment to CIVM development, validation and implementation
-Engage scientists in pro-active scientific dialogue to build inter-disciplinary bridges and a pre-clinical to clinical line of sight across GSK and external partners
- Provide high quality scientific and strategic guidance which impact model development, validation, relevance, conduct, analysis, and reporting Why you? Basic Qualifications:
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- PhD in Cellular Biology/Molecular Biology or an equivalent life sciences degree
- 10 years of biomedical or pharmaceutical or academic research and application of CIVM, MPS, organoids.
- Experience leading a group responsible for delivering tactical and operational management of multi-site research programs with Complex In Vitro Models
- Track record of competency in leadership skills, critical thinking, proactive operational excellence, and strategic planning with the ability to build networks and manage by influence across a diverse and inclusive customer and stakeholder base
- Strong change management skills
- Strong customer focus and ability to influence across the enterprise
- Establishes baseline; compares with benchmarks; establishes strategy that meets business needs for operational metrics to meet business needs for the portfolio
- Ability to coach, mentor, develop, execute comprehensive talent management and performance manage staff through accountability
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- 15 years of biopharmaceutical experience in drug discovery and development
- Develops and maintains internal and external networks of technical experts to draw upon for expertise, advice, and service including having a strong external profile and being viewed externally as a key opinion leader
- Executive presence capability regarding communications to senior management on functional line contributions and impact on the portfolio
- Ability to work routinely across boundaries and establish cross functional matrix collaborations and teams
At GSK, we have already delivered unprecedented change over the past four years, improving R&D, becoming a leader inConsumer Health, strengthening our leadership, and transforming our commercial execution. Now, we're making the biggestchanges we've made to our business in over 20 years.We're on track to separate and create two new companies in 2022:
New GSK with a leading portfolio of vaccines and specialty medicines as well as R&D based on immune system and geneticsscience; and a new world-leading consumer healthcare company of loved and trusted brands.
With new ambition comes new purpose. For New GSK, this is to unite science, talent and technology to get ahead of diseasetogether - all with the clear ambition of delivering human health impact; stronger and more sustainable shareholder returns; andas a new GSK where outstanding people thrive.
Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it. How we do all this is through our people and our culture. A culturethat isambitious for patients
- so we deliver what matters better and faster;accountable for impact
- with clear ownership ofgoals and support to succeed; andwhere we do the right thing
. So, if you're ready to improve the lives of billions, join us at thisexciting moment in our journey. Join our challenge to get Ahead Together.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
At GSK, the health and safety of our employees are of paramount importance. As a science-led healthcare company on a mission to get ahead of disease together, we believe that supporting vaccination against COVID-19 is the single best thing we can do in the US to ensure the health and safety of our employees, complementary workers, workplaces, customers, consumers, communities, and the patients we serve.
GSK has made the decision to require all US employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, where allowed by state or local law and where vaccine supply is readily available. The only exceptions to this requirement are employees who are approved for an accommodation for religious, medical or disability-related reasons.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK's compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK's Transparency Reporting For the Record